• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Speargun Dilema-Need your opinion

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 15, 2015
Hi fellow spearos!
I haven't visited the site for a long time, but now i need your help!

I'm about to buy a new speargun this year and i have settled between Cressi Moicano 85 and Cressi Yuma 85.

And I don't know which one to buy.

They both have intergrated shaft guide which is a plus, and both share the same pipe design (flat bottom and the rest normal with the guide on top), and they have the almost same grip and mechanism (in different colour).
The gun will be used for fishing down to 15-20m max, and most frequently at 3-7-10m depth (basically shallow water for the most part)

Now the Yuma in contrast to Moicano has an open head (moicano has closed), but the problem is that it can accept double bands only tied (not with screws), while the moicano has both with screws and the hole thing. Yuma has a 26mm pipe and moicano 28 but cressi says it has the same strength as a 28mm pipe because of it's design.
Plus i like the yuma better because of the navy camo! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
They both look pretty similar so I guess it just comes down to whether you prefer using screw in bands or not. I was looking at the cressi range and the geronimo looks like a better gun then the moicano or yuma, the handle has a reverse trigger so an 85 geronimo would be shorter than an 85 yuma or moicano, or a geronimo of equal length to the 85 yuma may have 5cm extra band stretch.
If your stuck with only the moicano or yuma I would get the moicano as having a 28mm pipe, if you chose in the future to change the muzzle there will be more options that will fit.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I think i'm taking the yuma. It has a 26mm tube but it's reinforced from the inside, so it's about as strong as the moicano (28mm). I also like the color and the extra manuverability better and the open muzzle is a plus. The only thing i want to know is if it will be able to use two 16mm bands or one 16mm along with one 14mm or two 14mm bands for the extra "bang" without harming the tube, or the gun.

Cool,
I think the tube will be fine as the rail helps stiffen it but I would check first to see if two bands is safe for that trigger. I'd stick with one 16mm band, it should shoot the 6mm shaft like a lightning bolt!
If the trigger is safe with more load, I'd be tempted to try a 6.75mm shaft and 2x13mm extreme bands by sigalsub. Plenty power with option to unload 1 band for shooting in holes.

I think I read on here or another forum of some cressi guns having a stiff trigger pull or misfire when loaded with multiple bands. Anyway I looked at the yuma again and I see the muzzle is designed for 2 bands so I'd imagine it's fine for the trigger. Still, I think you'll be more than happy with one 16mm:)

Im thinking of putting and a 14mm band for more power when used with the 16mm or to load it with the 14mm for small holes. Or maybe one 17.5mm band.

Thank you for your help!

If your stuck with only the moicano or yuma I would get the moicano as having a 28mm pipe, if you chose in the future to change the muzzle there will be more options that will fit.

Just re-checked! They both have 26mm tubes. Basicaly the same gun with different camo and muzzles!

26mm? No, surely not. 16mm?

"Hole things" & bulk-rubber are better & cheaper than screw-in bands IMHO but I am sure others will have other preferences. Screw-in bands can be absurdly expensive. Welcome regular income for the equipment business though I dare say. I also prefer tied Dyneema wishbones to, admittedly longer lasting, screw-on metal wishbones (cheaper, softer on fingers, quieter, simpler - in theory if not in use :D). But that is what I have always used. I sense that you would be happier will screw-in bands though.

Bulk rubber and dyneema all the way for me. When you said that the bands were 26mm did you mean that they were 26cm long? With the rubber size I would say either use a single 18mm or thereabouts, or you could go for twin 14mm but if you do, it may be wise to up the spear diameter. Remember that the gun is sold with a set up that will work with regards accuracy, if you power up the bands you may well need to beef up the spear! ;)

26mm? No, surely not. 16mm?
Oh I see, barrel diameter 26mm. I think 28mm is the most common barrel tube diameter but perhaps that is the internal diameter, as the muzzle & mech usually slot into the barrel. Older speargunguns and a few modern ones have 25mm diameter barrels (as I said, that may well be the internal diameter), my Omer XXVs for example (XXV = 25). The Omer muzzle for it (& some Omer Cayman models) is quite configurable (e.g. enclosed/open, single screw-in band, single bulk-rubber band, single screw-in + single bulk rubber). I wouldn't put double bands on a 25mm barrel though (and if I did, only 2x14mm).

They both look like decent guns & Cressi is a well regarded brand. They will both work fine.

I too prefer the look of the Cressi Yuma 85cm, although for different reasons (not the blue camo!):
z_0fe344095_01580l4001.jpg

http://www.spearfishingstore.co.uk/cressi-yuma-85cm-speargun.html
It is sort of like a lighter-weight (RA/Rabitech/Mako) railgun for Europe (alas it lacks a Dyneema wishbone but that can be sorted when the bands need replacement), which I suppose is what I am after (I like cuttlefish shaped C4 designs too :)). Although I would probably look at other options (e.g. Omersub, Beuchat, Picasso Cobra, some of the Greek brands perhaps).

Simple muzzle, bulk rubber band, double-slotted spear - as it only has a single rubber muzzle, I suppose you could use the foremost slot to "power down" for caves or to aid loading? It has a really nice double muzzle (I have opted to use a closed muzzles but open muzzle is fine too):
http://www.tsourosmarine.gr/products_en.asp?prodid=3644
cressi_yuma1.jpg

Don't underestimate 1x16mm, especially with bulk rubber (I suspect the circle band in this case is not regular USA bulk rubber because it has a screw-in wishbone).

6mm for the spear seems unusually slim to me but probably ok. My XXV has a 6.3mm spear and that seems real slim to me after the 6.6mm spear on my RA 1x16mm (6.6mm is overkill for the UK I think). My XXV came with 18mm screw-in rubbers but I have since fitted a 3/4" USA bulk rubber band, which works fine. I wonder how well a 6mm spear would handle a more powerful band(s)? The rail would likely help (stops spear drooping in the middle) and is perhaps the main reason for having a rail on shorter speargun (and rigidity/strength). I expect the factory configuration will work very well.

The Cressi Moicano 85 is more of a regular band gun. Nothing wrong with that. Looks a bit like a Commanche with a different trigger mech. & a rail. I wouldn't buy this one, it doesn't excite me but I can't fault it.

image_1_large

Last edited:
Thank you for you reply!
From greek brands i already have an apnea rayo carbon 110cm for open water fishing (my father's). But i need something more versalite!
Also i'm leaning towards the yuma beacause of the bulk bands(never said i like screw in bands) and the open muzzle makes it easier to aim.
And as you said it's not just the blue camo, but you have to admit it also looks really cool ;)

Thank all of you for your reply, and especially Mr. X , he helped me alot once again!

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT