• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nate duffus

Jan 11, 2018
Hello I was looking for some input on the mako
predator 3 was thinking 80 cm double band 16mm mostly going after lingcod and kelp green ling's due to regulations over here on Vancouver island thanks in advance

Welcome nate. That'd probably work. Danno, the owner of Mako is an active forum member so may respond in person.

Speargun length decisions generally relate to the visibility that you are likely to encounter (and consequently the range). Local spearos - or your own experience in the area - are generally the best guide to that.

Seem to recall a forum member using something similar to spear Ling Cod near Seattle several years ago. I used to live in that area, so it caught my attention. He posted a good image of his gear & catch too. I recall he had a really short Rob Allen railgun (maybe 70cm or 50cm even - the latter is available as a custom order, I think they can make them pretty much any length for custom orders. Presumably for very close range around rocks, so short, robust speargun with a strong (thick) spear. Doubt if you'd really need 2 bands for such close range work but nice to have the option (e.g. the RA Sparid comes with single 16mm bulk rubber (more powerful than screw-in rubbers) but a muzzle & spear that will accept a second rubber later if you wish to upgrade it - the spear is 6.6mm which I would consider medium weight, you might want something a little thicker if you are mainly poking around caves and holes in rocks?).

A small pneumatic might be worth considering - not really my thing tho'.

I'll move this thread to the USA/Canada regional area of the forum and leave link at this location (beginner spearfishing), might get more responses that way.

Last edited:
Hello I was looking for some input on the mako
predator 3 was thinking 80 cm double band 16mm mostly going after lingcod and kelp green ling's due to regulations over here on Vancouver island thanks in advance
Good choice, I use a larger riffe down here in Baja but when I’m back in BC I use the Rob Allen 80 it’s perfect, the guns are very similar, happy hunting.

Reactions: Mr. X
Are twin bands a good idea you think
Yeah, if you are worried about the shaft hitting the rocks you can always just use one, I like to try and manuever myself into a place where the backdrop is clear then let fly, isn’t always easy with ling but works well with greenling.

Yeah, if you are worried about the shaft hitting the rocks you can always just use one, I like to try and manuever myself into a place where the backdrop is clear then let fly, isn’t always easy with ling but works well with greenling.
Great super helpful thanks again

One more question if yah don't mind they offer twin 14 mm other 16 mm I'm unsure of which to go with

One more question if yah don't mind they offer twin 14 mm other 16 mm I'm unsure of which to go with
That’s kinda hard to answer, lots of opinions, generally the 14 mil bands will be a little easier to load, also they will be a wee bit shorter than the 16 mil bands, this translates into a shorter relaxed length, in other words the thrust lasts a little bit longer than it would with the 16 mil bands. On Myron Allen 80 I use 16 mil on my riffe which is around 100 cm I use three 14 mil bands, hope this helps, cheers.

That’s kinda hard to answer, lots of opinions, generally the 14 mil bands will be a little easier to load, also they will be a wee bit shorter than the 16 mil bands, this translates into a shorter relaxed length, in other words the thrust lasts a little bit longer than it would with the 16 mil bands. On Myron Allen 80 I use 16 mil on my riffe which is around 100 cm I use three 14 mil bands, hope this helps, cheers.
Thanks again

You can load a single band quicker than 2. Loading 2 bands is an unnecessary hassle for most beginners IMHO. Having to load a thick, new band can take some of the pleasure out of spearing - and inject a little more difficulty and quite possibly pain/injury.

2x14mm is a popular option in Hawaii for some reason (big fish for beginners/youths?). We estimated that configuration to be about the same or slightly more powerful than a single 3/4"/19mm/20mm band but easier and slower to load- but there are other variables, some mentioned already by others.

2x16mm seems more relevant for very big pelajic fish I think. A single 16mm bulk rubber band is quite powerful. If you get a speargun capable of taking 2 rubbers (which depends on muzzle & spear notches & strength of trigger-mech supporting it) but fit it with a single 16mm rubber to start off with, you won't go far wrong - it keeps your options open. From there you can either move down to 1x14mm band or upto 2x14mm or 2x16mm or 1x20mm or even 2x20mm (although that would likely warrant a thicker spear shaft too and , perhaps, therapy! ;)).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT