• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Static PB!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Perry15

Apr 22, 2009
So today at the pool i threw down my best static time of my training which has only started a few weeks ago haha.
2:30 Seconds static breath hold! Made me have a lot more respect for a solid breathe up!

thats a sick time bro

as you know i hit 2:00 and i was happy with that, but you killed it with that 2:30

to any one who knows how to train and stay safe is this right ??

we have one of us watching and one holding after a 1:00 we give the holding diver a tap. after the tap they have to give a thumbs up. after that every 0:10 we tap and they need to give a thumbs up. is this overkill or not enough.

we also look for any air coming out.

i'm sure we are not doing everything right but we are trying :)
anything else we can do ?

its sounds like you are doing a good job at safety. never become over confident and always be prepared to pull up the diver if he looks bad.

the way its done in comps is:
- diver anounces his dive time (normally well within, or less than, PB limits)
- the safety taps diver on the shoulder at 1:00 before that announced time, the diver should reply moving (lifting) a finger
- from then on every 30 seconds tap>reply
- reaching announced time, the taps>replies are every 15 secs.

When the diver comes out (stands up) one of the main things I would say to watch for is that he does not fall forward bashing his face into the side of the pool.

If he should black out. relax. keep his face out of the water, remove his mask, noseclip, neckweight or whatever may obstruct the face/airways, blow cool air around his eyes, tap his cheeks, talk calmly. He will come around in a few seconds.

nice PBs!

Yeah we are pretty safety conscious, we even practiced a few rescues yesterday. I look forward to accelerating in free diving and training my body to go longer.

Happy and Safe Diving,
Perry

Reactions: Kars
Congratulations!

When 'rescuing' keep in mind to hold him in a good way while not obstructing his breathing, the diver may have strong spasms.

On the other hand, choose to make small progress; have many victories, explore your borders gradually, getting to know your signals. Keep in mind that some days are less, don't push extra hard to make your good days 'standard'.

About tabbing, it can become automated, put some variation by tabbing on the other shoulder asking the other finger to respond.

Look up some video's of surfacing, and see how people like Tom Sietas do it, ask yourselves why.

What also may help is to do some main muscle warm up and stretching.
Relaxation exercises can be done almost everywhere.

Maintain a log, note discoveries, note food and other things that are of influence, at least write down your pb's in your agenda, it's nice to reflect on that later.

Practising your rescues is very good!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Good stuff. You're doing your max attempt on the 4th breathold yes?

I think it may even be after the fourth, Madprops and I do a few one minute holds before attempting our Max.

It might be less or more. Each hold should get longer as you go towards your max attempt. Meaning you should be stressing your body each time.
To be clear, each of the 4 or 5 breatholds is in itself a "max" attempt. Hold each one until you can't, then breathe up approximately double the last hold, do the next one as long as possible.
Keep doing that until they get shorter, then you'll know what your "max" is.

Mine ie: 1st hold approx 2 minutes, then breathe up 4 minutes, 2nd attempt 3:30, then breathe up 5 minutes, 3rd attempt 4:30, breathe up 5 minutes, then 4th attempt 5:45.
I know from experience that my 5th hold will not be longer, so I know that the 4th hold is my maximum.

There is a thought that breathing up for more than 5 minutes is not necessary, so you might use that rule.
Once you know your pattern, then you know the approximate amount of time needed, say to do a max attempt in a competition where there is a strict time to start your attempt.

Are you getting contractions, and if so, are you counting them?

Ahhh yeah that makes sense, I am for sure going to do that next time i do static. I am excited to put that into action.
As for contractions, i don't get any...sometimes i'll get one in my throat but that's basically it. Whereas Madprops gets really exaggerated contractions. I don't get it lol.
Thanks a lot though Erik for the info on static max.

Actually there are many approaches to training static. Some like to do tables, others only do 1 max without warm-up breath holds, and anything in between.

In my view it's key to make sure I don't build up a negative association with breath holding. This may happen when you reach a platform and you simply keep pushing wearing yourself out without any progress. For me it helped much to focus on observation and learning. There are so many things to discover and improve, to keep you giving new good feelings and numeric improvements as well.

My coach told me freedivers appear to have two approaches, hard work for more muscle endurance, or learn to relax deeper using less energy. Of cause the most successful would be a combination.

Enjoy the ride, and the things you encounter along your road.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

ps. When you travel a bit slower you'll see much more, learn more, build a deeper understanding.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT