• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to area, want to start spearing soon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kraftyjack

Sep 18, 2009
Just moved to mount horeb and want to start spearing. I was in hawaii for about 2 months and started spearing there and got hooked, now im back in wisconsin with a brand new 7mm wetsuit and cant wait to start spearing. Looks like lake geneva is a good one, any other spots i should check out close to home? I have a relatively giant speargun(100cm) i hear for freshwater you need smaller one to hit faster closer targets, any ideas on what i can find for ~$200?

Krafty- Welcome to Deeperblue. There are a lot of lakes to spear, especially in May. Pretty much all of the Madison lakes are spearable from now till about the 1st week in June. Lake Geneva is a good one and pretty much any lake in the south east corner of the state. Lake Michigan is also a good and probably the only place you could get full use out of that 100cm. Vis can reach 100 feet in Lake Michigan on good days.

Familiarize yourself with the SPEARING REGULATIONS as they are slightly different than regular fishing. And make sure you know what the fish look like that you can spear. I've put pics up on another Thread.

For Wisconsin waters get a 75cm gun. Plain and simple. Which brand? some like Ford, some like Chevy- know what I'm saying. I myself use a HAMMERHEAD 90% of the time. In Lake Michigan I use a 115cm Beuchat. If you want to shoot pan fish- stay away from JBL - unless they've made their spears more narrow, the ones I have put big holes in the pan fish, but are GREAT CARP guns.

Hey thanks for the info. I went spearing in rock lake yesterday and saw some of the biggest bass ive ever seen...how come i cant catch those with a pole but i can literally push them out of my way when spearing? First time spearing in freshwater, wow what a blast. I saw musky, pike, some, a needle nose looking fish, big big carp, some weird sturgeon looking thing and a 10lb bass at least. The bass came after me, i had to push him away with spear and he bit the spear....intimidating little things. Im thinking about trying big cedar lake next, anyone try that one out?

Upon further review, the needle nose thing must have been a gar...didnt know gar existed outside saltwater, and the sturgeon thing was a bowfin...man he was big too. Didnt know u could shoot bowfin, it would of been so easy, i was petting him with my speartip. But then again maybe i want the fish hunt to be a bit more sporting. And its not "big cedar" but "red cedar", i didnt zoom in close enough on the map to read it clearly.

Bowfin/dogfish- are pretty tame. They are a hell of a fighter on hook n line. I don't shoot them 'usually' because I don't want to eat them. Wait till you get in with some muskies that are territorial and start bumping into you. That gets a little freaky.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT