• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Fishing in Scotland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rbrakes

Jul 3, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm working around Argyll and Bute this summer and am planning on taking my spearfishing gear.

Does anybody have any pointers on where to go, what to expect and where to avoid? I'll be based on the Argyll side of the Clyde near Dunoon but can travel.

Hi guys,

I'm working around Argyll and Bute this summer and am planning on taking my spearfishing gear.

Does anybody have any pointers on where to go, what to expect and where to avoid? I'll be based on the Argyll side of the Clyde near Dunoon but can travel.

Hey rbrakes,

(my first post - hurray!)

Whilst I haven't freedived or spearfished there myself (much as I'd love to get the chance - I'm new to the sport), I am from Argyll and also previously worked for a company with a dive team who gave me a few tips.

There is an area just off Carradale at NR 82013 37592 where line fishing for mackerel and pollock can yield a good deal. You can park in front of the nearby hotel and get there by walking along the narrow coastal path. My family and I caught 20+ mackerel, a dogfish, a pollock and a cute wee octopus there last weekend (we released the dogfish and octopus). We fish off this very noticeable vertical spike of rock, beneath which is a quick drop in depth, only a little kelp/seaweed and a nice sandy bottom. We always see seals and gannets diving there so in addition to our catch it must be a sign of healthy marine life. There is also a herd of wild goats nearby who might say hello.

One of my former diver colleagues also said that you can pick up lobster in and around the outfall of the marine lab at Machrahanish. He said also to watch out for the currents particularly south of there as they can be very so strong. A surfer was blown out to sea from Machrahanish Beach recently and rescued after 36 hours, and the exact same thing almost happened to my friend who was kayaking (he swam to shore but lost the kayak!). Basically, the east coast of Kintyre is notably calmer and more sheltered than the west.

If ever you're planning an outing and looking for a dive buddy in the area, feel free to let me know!

Hey BatRay (edited - don't where I saw the previous name I wrote),

(my first post - hurray!)

Whilst I haven't freedived or spearfished there myself (much as I'd love to get the chance - I'm new to the sport), I am from Argyll and also previously worked for a company with a dive team who gave me a few tips.

There is an area just off Carradale at NR 82013 37592 where line fishing for mackerel and pollock can yield a good deal. You can park in front of the nearby hotel and get there by walking along the narrow coastal path. My family and I caught 20+ mackerel, a dogfish, a pollock and a cute wee octopus there last weekend (we released the dogfish and octopus). We fish off this very noticeable vertical spike of rock, beneath which is a quick drop in depth, only a little kelp/seaweed and a nice sandy bottom. We always see seals and gannets diving there so in addition to our catch it must be a sign of healthy marine life. There is also a herd of wild goats nearby who might say hello.

One of my former diver colleagues also said that you can pick up lobster in and around the outfall of the marine lab at Machrahanish. He said also to watch out for the currents particularly south of there as they can be very so strong. A surfer was blown out to sea from Machrahanish Beach recently and rescued after 36 hours, and the exact same thing almost happened to my friend who was kayaking (he swam to shore but lost the kayak!). Basically, the east coast of Kintyre is notably calmer and more sheltered than the west.

If ever you're planning an outing and looking for a dive buddy in the area, feel free to let me know!

Please ignore my mistakes with your name; think I'm having a moment XD (I mistook the name of the auto "welcome to deeper blue..." post for your own...)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT