• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Pole Spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 15, 2015
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I need some help.
First of all I started spearfishing about 1 year ago and now I would like to get a pole spear....
I think between JBL 6" One Piece Aluminium Pole Spear and Cressi Two Piece Hand Spear.

I just don't know which of the two is the best and why...

Please help me, because I'm tired of the spearguns (seriously) and I want to have a new experience.
I went to a dive shop (I live in Corfu, Greece) to ask about polespears and he said within 10 years I was the 2nd to ask for a polespear....
(I have one that I made my own)

Reactions: Mr. X
There is a member on here called Myfish who seems to have a lot of knowledge about pole spears who I am sure can help. I don't know if the JBL is solid aluminium or tubing. If its solid, it is likely to be similar to a Ray Odor pole spear which is a good spear but.......... to power it effectively takes quite a strong rubber and a two hour dive can turn into a weight training session:D Get the pole whose material suits your fish and in a length that suits your viz. To be honest, I don't need the heavy punch of the Ray Odor spear but I bought it and I like the feel of it, so I use it. It is powered with a single 18mm speargun band which takes some effort to load/hold. Think before you buy and make the right purchase first time.

Edited to say that on the other extreme, I have a homemade light weight 5 foot, polespear made from the but section of an old carbon fishing rod with a 3 prong tip which is a joy to use and is a totally different experience than using the heavyweight spear and which is more realistic for the fish I am likely to see........................... still like the Ray Odor though.............. builds bigger muscles and I need the help:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Ok... Thanks mate! But I was just wondering if the pole spears that are like 2-3 pieces are more prone to damage. What about the cressi one? Thanks

I guess any join in a material is a potential weakness, however for ease of travelling etc the two or three piece make sense depending on the material and the quality of the joining method. I have absolutely no doubt that my 3 piece Ray Odor will not be bent by any fish I catch here in the uk and that the joins will be fine but as I said in my last post, the price I pay is weight of the spear and the strength of rubber needed to power it effectively. If ease of travelling is not a big deal to you and you don't need the flexibility of potentially adding or removing sections to alter the length, then a 1 piece will have more structural integrity I would have thought. I am not familiar with the Cressi spear, what is it made from?

The Cressi spear is made of aluminium, but I'm more towards the JBL one (1 piece). I like the Cressi ALOT but I like the JBL to very much. Plus JBL is an one piece spear and has more structural integrity. The only problem is when I go spearfishing alone (when I go wih company I usualy go with a friend who has a boat) because I go with my YZF450(I'm 15 I'm not allowed to drive a car at main roads, but an MX..... ;)

Can you tell me of an aluminium 2 or 3 piece polespear that has enough strength? Under 50$. And what do you think about the cressi now?

Do you think the cressi or the jbl will be able (in terms of speed n' punch) to take down european fish?
I hunt especialy perch, sargus and dentex (these r my "must" that the polespear can take down) but i also hunt lionfish, flatfish and rockfish, eels, and weevers. But the fish I want 100% to be able to hunt with the spear are the prech sargus dentex mullets and salpa. Do you think that any of these 2 are capable of taking down these fish (mostly in terms of speed the punch is more than enough)

Out of the two, I would go with the JBL, you can always upgrade the band to get more speed. The JBL has a proven track record in the USA but like anything there is no point having a super powerful pole spear if you haven't got and/or cant load the band to power it effectively. Whichever you choose, keep safe and good luck :D

Reactions: Nicholas_Pachis
i liked titanium pole spear with handle trigger

Attachments

• 2016-12-31 14-17-38_1483188715.JPG
    2016-12-31 14-17-38_1483188715.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2016-11-27 11-48-24.JPG
    2016-11-27 11-48-24.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 2016-09-29 21-06-38.JPG
    2016-09-29 21-06-38.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 2016-09-10 23-42-26_1473541867.JPG
    2016-09-10 23-42-26_1473541867.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 2016-08-03 17-49-25.JPG
    2016-08-03 17-49-25.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 174
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT