• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Spearfishing and Catalina Island

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mark Conley

Aug 2, 2017
Hello,

I am new to the world of spearfishing and was planning a camping trip to Catalina Island. Can anyone tell me where I can spear and where it is easy to get to from a beach? Anything else you can share would be helpful as well.
Thank you,

Mark

Mark, just got back from Catalina it was awsome. If I were to suggest, I would get on a spearfishing charter there. The island can be difficult to navigate by foot, and there are a few environmentally protected areas. Or you hike out a few miles to the east side of the island where I believe its open, but I stayed in Avalon because of the steepness and distance of the trans catalina trail. P.S. bring sunblock...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mark, just got back from Catalina it was awsome. If I were to suggest, I would get on a spearfishing charter there. The island can be difficult to navigate by foot, and there are a few environmentally protected areas. Or you hike out a few miles to the east side of the island where I believe its open, but I stayed in Avalon because of the steepness and distance of the trans catalina trail. P.S. bring sunblock...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I am planning on camping mostly on the East side.

Best,

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to Deeperblue. Most people spear Catalina from a boat. The beach is more of a mud flat if I recall correctly. Beware of the Marine Protected Areas. Spearing is forbidden in those.

A good spot to camp with access to Spearfishing is Little Harbor on the back side. It's a relatively short swim out to the rocky point protecting the harbor. Then turn right and there is a big kelp bed extending from shore out to a depth of about 40 feet. I was there in my boat a couple of weeks ago and the kelp was in good shape. I have taken White Sea bass in the bed and there is a good chance that yellowtail will be cruising the outside edge. And if course there are calicos and sheepshead. I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the details on camping such as reservations and access since I'm always in a boat but I do know that I see campers there.

https://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/camping-and-boating/two-harbors-camping/little-harbor

It occurs to me that a little explanation of terminology might be in order. While we may think of the California coast and islands running north and south, the long axis of Catalina is oriented closer to east-west, so the ends are called the east end and west end. Then the confusing part is what to call the sides. The side closest to the mainland is called the front side, and the side facing the open ocean is called the back side. It seems perfectly logical that the side facing the ocean might be the front side and my wife still has trouble getting it straight after living here since 1975, but you can't fight local custom. I just bring this up since you may read references to the ends and long sides of Catalina, and they might be confusing.

Reactions: R_kindley27
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT