• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Spearfishing: Living in the Bay Area!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Waymond91

May 9, 2017
Hi All!
I recently spent about 3 months in Kona, Haiwaii. And while I was there I spent more days than not spearfishing for the first time, and although I'm not very good, I instantly fell in love with it!

Now that I am back in California (Pleasanton to be specific), I find that I miss it very much. To the point where that I have started planning on saving money and moving somewhere else with better access to the fish!
I have little gear (no wetsuit, no snorkel gear ATM - not a lot of gear needed in the warm water in Hawaii).
The Ocean in Hawaii did manage to put the fear of God (strong currents, large swell, sharp reefs, hard rocks, etc), so I think this is really something that you need to do for the first time with someone more experienced.

To that end, I was wondering if there was anybody near by willing to take a newbie under their wing. I was hoping to hit up spots north of the bay, although I have read some frightening stories about the water up there.

Even just the name of a safe place with decent visibility that I could swim with the local fishes for the first time over here would go a long way!

--Also an afterthought: I inherited an Salvimar: Intruder 75
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-intruder-drop/137331/p
only its got 4 prongs at the end of it.
Do you think I could get by with this for a while up here?

Feel free to leave me a message!
Cheers!
Brett
waymond91@gmail.com
925-519-6520

Welcome to Deeperblue! Did you end up getting some more gear? If you're looking for locals, I recommend searching for the keywords "California" and "Bay Area" and reply to existing threads. You can also post a new thread in the USA/Canada subforum.

I highly recommend taking a freediving course. They are invaluable for safety as well as technique gains. There is no better way to advance your skills.

By the way, it is recommended to communicate via private message or on the threads rather than personal phone numbers and emails on public threads. You run the risk of being doxxed by putting the info out there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT