• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Spearfishing, Malibu area, HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EagleDiver

Aug 10, 2007
Hi I am new to spearfishing and have been research it quite a bit the past few weeks. I live in the West Hills area so Malibu is only about 15 min away from me.

Anyways I heard that a decent spot to spearfish near me was Leo Carrillo Beach about 5 min down PCH from Malibu. So before buying a speargun and all the other equipment my friend and I figured we would go snorkeling there to scope out the scene.

Upon arriving we suit up in our wetsuits and flippers and went out into the water about 100 ft offshore. However we could see absolutely nothing the visibility was probably less than a foot unless we swam the the bottom which was about 11 ft down and then we still only had about a foot of vis.

Is Leo Carrillo normally like this?

Also is there anyone in the area that would be willing to give us some pointers on where and what time to go, for a beginner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

was out at Leo yesterday morning at about 7am. The vis was bad about 3 ft. I wish I could tell you some way of knowing what its gona be like but that place changes so quick. 20-25ft vis in the morning and 7ft vis by noon. It is very picky on its tides.

But be thankful that your 5-10min away, at that distance its worth checking that spot everyday! Its 70miles from my house!!

Do a little more research on your local area because you have close access to many great places. I can help you out if you strike out on your own.

I would keep up the diving to spot check before you invest in the hunting side of it.

I hope your comfortable with sharks though. Your neck of the woods can produce some interesting encounters.

Good Luck

Joel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT