• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new to spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nutty1966

Aug 30, 2021
Hi I'm new to spearfishing i have only ever been snorkeling/ diving in warmer climates tried the other day in Wales with a 4mm wetsuit and a belt with 8kg on and I was like a Cork how much weight do I need I'm 6'2" 12 stone thanks for any advice

Welcome!
The general advice given to me in the past has been to weight yourself so you're neutrally buoyant at 10 m below the surface. If you're diving shalllower than this then add a little more weight, and vice versa. You don't want to be buoyant at the bottom of course, but it's always better to be more buoyant than not.
Good luck!

Reactions: Nutty1966
You'll need to experiment. Your body and wetsuit are unique to you. Getting it just right makes a big difference.

I had to tweak my weight quite a lot myself recently as I dived in different wetsuits on alternate days: one old 5mm and one new 5.5mm. The latter was significantly more bouyant. I carry more lead than you.

One day I forgot to bring my weight-vest, as it was drying. Fortunately I carried extra belt weights and was surprised that one big one (3.5lb?) and a smaller 1kg Alton weight (2.2lb?) compensated quite well for the lack of vest.

I suggest that you buy at least one weight that can be quickly added or removed, to make fine adjustments. I carry an Omer lead that is moulded around a long line clip, which I attach to my float or a D-ring on my belt, depending on need. I found it quite useful but there may be better weights available for this.

Last edited:
You'll need to experiment. Your body and wetsuit are unique to you. Getting it just right makes a big difference.

I had to tweak my weight quite a lot myself recently as I dived in different wetsuits on alternate days: one old 5mm and one new 5.5mm. The latter was significantly more bouyant. I carry more lead than you.

One day I forgot to bring my weight-vest, as it was drying. Fortunately I carried extra belt weights and was surprised that one big one (3.5lb?) and a smaller 1kg Alton weight (2.2lb?) compensated quite well for the lack of vest.

I suggest that you buy at least one weight that can be quickly added or removed, to make fine adjustments. I carry an Omer lead that is moulded around a long line clip, which I attach to my float or a D-ring on my belt, depending on need. I found it quite useful but there may be better weights available for this.
Thanks for the advice think I need a considerable amount more lead I presume I'm going to need around 20 kilo

my rule of the thumb when it comes to weight is, with all your gear, standing up in the water without kicking, you should be submerged till your eye level.

Thanks for the advice think I need a considerable amount more lead I presume I'm going to need around 20 kilo
20kg sounds too high. Add weight gradually, don't suddenly up it or you'll be nailed to the sea bed. I expect 10-12kg will be closer to the mark. Be careful ;)

Reactions: Pinniped72
When I started, working out the correct weight for me was a bit hit and miss. If I were starting again I would go out without spear or gun and focus on getting the basics dialled in first. Just take your other stuff to the beach and dial in the weight. As 8kg was not enough, add a kilo at a time and see how you go. You can literally just walk off the beach and get the weight sorted first, then get used to using your other equipment. Practice clearing mask and snorkel, get used to your fins, practice dealing with your float and line. Dive safe and don't jump to 20 Kg, that will be way too much and even 2 Kg over can cause all sorts of problems. Also remember, never be afraid to ditch the weight belt if you need to. I think Mr X got your required weight about right

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT