• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ajeje

May 21, 2006
I have been fascinated for a while with the idea of spearfishing and I want to start as well. But I have a few questions and would appreciate it very much if you could answer them.

1. I completed my Open Water Diver course last weekend and was not very happy with it. First of all, I do not have a sufficient equalizing technique and my ears hurt considerably. How do I learn to equalize fast and painless? I know there are different techniques - which one is recommended? Can anyone learn it?

2. How deep do you dive when spearfishing? I guess I have to learn how to freedive first before I take up spearfishing, is that right? How did you train do hold your breath? Just by diving? I am an experienced swimmer so my lung volume should be o.k.

3. There seem to be different types of wetsuits. What's the difference and what do you recommend for what? And do they all stink that much :) ?

4. Do you know of a good book for beginners?

Thank you very much for your help,
Ajeje

Hi Ajeje, welcome to DB.
There are books available but DB have so much info you could do worse than read up the threads. It might help us if we new were you lived? For instance where I live you do not need to dive deep to spearfish but you do need a good suit. There are lots of dedicated threads to ansaw all your questions but if you want direct answers we will need a bit more info on your location.

Reactions: spaghetti
Hi Firefox, thanks for reading.

I live in Switzerland, so the closest is the French and Italian Riviera (a few hours away). I have been snorkeling there a few weeks ago, but only saw small fish.
I read quite a lot of the posts in this forum, but since it is a forum, it is hard for me as a beginner to know what the priorities are, so i thought a book would help me with that. Spearfishing does not seem to be very popular here, I wasn't able to find a club, an organization, a website, anything actually here. The equipment is not even sold in stores here (even though - or because? - scuba diving is very popular). I'm a bit lost here, as you can see.

You don't always have to freedive to spearfish. Here in the freshwater lakes of Canada, large pike can be found in 5 feet of water. Snorkeling is the way to go for them, however you would have to freedive for walleye or trout.

Figure out what species of game fish you want to hunt and then read up on their habitat. They may be shallow or deep and that will influence the kind of spearfishing you will do.

For equalizing while diving, I found that if you equalize more often (actually almost continuously while descending) it becomes much easier to do. If you wait until it starts to get painful before equalizing the pressure differential makes it harder to do. It can also vary with each individual. My wife has more difficulty equalizing than I do, due to narrow eustachian tubes. Often I can pop my ears just by sticking my lower jaw out, but it doesn't work for her.

Hope that this helps a little. Just stick with it and remember to have fun. That's the goal...

SS

You don't need to be an expert freediver to start spearfishing; most people I know just got in water and started snorkelling and took it from there. Freedive courses become useful once you've mastered the basics and want to go deeper safer. I'm 38 and did my first freedive course last year! It is helpful if you can hook up with like-minded people but that might be difficult in Switzerland! DeeperBlue is a valuable resource and you can search threads for a variety of info. Hopefully someone from the areas you plan to visit will make themselves known here and you can swap info. As Foxfish says suit will depend on area you are diving, no need to spend lots of money on first suit but avoid 'scubs' style suits, they let too much water in and out via zips.

Hiya

Here's some GREAT informative reading material:

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/738

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/707/41

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/720/41

1. I completed my Open Water Diver course last weekend and was not very happy with it. First of all, I do not have a sufficient equalizing technique and my ears hurt considerably. How do I learn to equalize fast and painless? I know there are different techniques - which one is recommended? Can anyone learn it?

Unfortunately, PRACTICE is what will help you!! My wife also had equilising problems, but pretty soon she got the hang of it. The easiest is to pinch your nose and gently BLOW through your nose. This will make your ears pop. You can try it even outside the water. When in the water, try equilising BEFORE your ears start paining. Different people equilise differently. My wife needs to equilise 5 times before she gets to 8m, whilst i equilise 2-3 times.

2. How deep do you dive when spearfishing? I guess I have to learn how to freedive first before I take up spearfishing, is that right? How did you train do hold your breath? Just by diving? I am an experienced swimmer so my lung volume should be o.k.
Generally, fish tend to be shallower than most people think. Most spearo's operate in the 3-15m water depth. The BEST training is simply diving as much as you can!! Try ALWAYS to dive/train with a partner!! Shallow Water Black-out is the GREATEST danger in spearing!!

3. There seem to be different types of wetsuits. What's the difference and what do you recommend for what? And do they all stink that much ?

There is plenty of information in the above articles!!

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64478&highlight=manual+freediving

Regards
miles

Reactions: Mr. X
Sam, Spaniard and Miles, thanks a lot for helping. Speargunfishing is not allowed in the lakes here, but it is in nearby France and Italy. And of course, one can learn how to equalize and dive in the lakes, too . . . Guess it's all about practising first, like in any other sport.

Happy I found this site though!

Hi,
Where are you from Switzerland?. I am living at Lake Constance and interested in spearfishing too and I am looking for persons to freedive with.

best regards

Ajeje said:

3. There seem to be different types of wetsuits. What's the difference and what do you recommend for what? And do they all stink that much :) ?

Thank you very much for your help,
Ajeje

Hi Ajeje,

For spearo books, take a look at this thread (& please add any new books that you find): http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64516&highlight=spearo+books

There are several good existing threads on wetsuits (must read: pissette thread); use the Search facility on the forum bar. Eliossub suits are popular with forum members, inc. myself. Several other companies make spearo wetsuits though & just looking at the pictures on the forums, you will see all brands. A proper spearo wetsuit is much warmer than, say, a cheap shorties (because of the cut, hood, open-cell interior,...) ...and need not be expensive.

The guys above (Miles, Foxfish, Spaniard) have a lot of experience...their advice is good, they have helped me tremendously.

Last edited:
Mr. X, thanks for the link. I thought I should add a new book I heard of recently, even though it is in Italian. More Information:

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=603479#post603479"]Spearo books? - Page 2[/ame]

and

www.marcobardi.com

Ajeje

Thanks! If you read Italian, our friend Spaghetti might have some additional recommendations for you...and some ideas on spearfishing in the Med.

I've been reading a lot of the threads and posts here, but wasn't able to find out a few things:

1. What are the differences between American and European Spearguns ? Position of the handle, wood versus aluminium, length? Two typical pictures would help. Also is there a difference between an arbalete and a speargun ? Is an arbalete just a Euro speargun ?

2. I know camouflage wetsuits are controversial; is there a poll ? Does it depend on your hunting method (aspetto, for example) ?

3. I understand there are different equalizing techniques; which one do you use?

4. How long does the mono-line connecting the spear with the gun have to be ? Mine goes from the end of the spear to the muzzle, back to the clip, and again to the muzzle. That's three times the length of the speargun. If that is enough: What are reels for ?

5. Finally, what are the advantages of high waist pants plus jacket against long john plus jacket ?

Whoever answers my questions: Thank you very much.

Ajeje

1. What you say is about right, they often use multi-bands too...there are others on the forum can provide more info. though.

2. The Jersey Spearfishing website has a good article on camo wetsuits that I have referenced in the past. Not essential but not a bad idea. Partial camo (or different colour trousers) are also discussed.

3. Freedivers will explain this better. I generally pinch my nose, which always works, but sometimes waggling my jaw or swallowing works (& is less hassle).

4. 3x barrel length is normal (giving a range of about 4x barrel length + 40cm). Some use a "double wrap" -- opinions vary on whether this is a good idea. Reels allow you to surface once you have shot a fish - although others may have additional insights.

5. Good question. Keeps your tummy warm? I guess the overlap helps keep a near watertight seal (I saw one company suggesting you fold over the waist band for a better seal -- opencell-to-open cell ... does anybody do this?). Perhaps part of the idea is that is leaves your chest area freer than a long john /salupette bottom, for improved breathing (also cheaper & simpler)?

[Would be interested to hear alternative answers to the above].
Spaniard said:
Arbalete is a french word for speargun
I think they use the same word for crossbow.

Last edited:
Ciao Ajeje, everything Mr. X said is ok for me too. Something more I could add:
2-camouflage is useful when hunting in shallow water, while useless at depth where the perception of colours is partly lost.
Furthermore, consider that camouflage becomes useless if you make too much noise, splashing and vibrations, because fishes are more sensitive to vibrations than to visual perception.
4- reels are also for enduring the powerful reaction of big fishes (amberjacks, for example), who could swim so strongly to break a fixed line, or even to break their own meat to get rid of the spear. With a reel you release the line letting them go, so they waste their energies in a hopeless escape attempt, until finally, when they're tired, you can gently roll'em up.
5- yes, chest area free to expand with high pants better than salopette.

Thank you Mr. X, grazie mille spaghetti and muchas gracias to Spaniard ! I think I know what I needed to know, so I hope I can focus on learning how to spearfish in the water now instead of behind the keyboard. And thinking it probably all started with nothing but a wooden spear - tempi passati !

Ajeje said:
And thinking it probably all started with nothing but a wooden spear - tempi passati !
Oh, yes, spearfishing is a Science now :)
Piece of history: in Italy modern spearfishing started in Naples in 1932, when an anthropologyst hosted three japanese fisherman who made great wonder freediving and catching fish with a long wood and iron handspear. It all started from that.
http://www.apneamagazine.com/articolo.php/1196

Reactions: Mr. X
spaghetti said:
Piece of history: in Italy modern spearfishing started in Naples in 1932, when an anthropologyst hosted three japanese fisherman who made great wonder freediving and catching fish with a long wood and iron handspear. It all started from that.
http://www.apneamagazine.com/articolo.php/1196
:cool:So it was started in Europe by the Japanese - who'd have thought it! I do associate them with apnea from the pearl diving, so I guess it makes some sense. (Wonder if Shimano make spearguns?;)).
[English translation (sort of) of Spaghetti's link]

Last edited:
Is there a terminology most people agree on concerning hunting techniques? If you hide and wait for the fish, it's called aspetto; if you follow the fish, the French seem to call it à l'indienne, which goes by the name of agachon as well etc.
Any clarifications? And possibly also some advice on what to learn first?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT