• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new to spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

riptidezp

Oct 3, 2008
New to spearfishing. Done some freediving and scuba. Any tips before I go get a fishing licence and start shooting.
Some guys are telling me I can shoot any type of fish I want in alberta. Is this true?
Can I spearfish while scuba diving - outside of the whole spiritual thing - can I do it legally?
any thoughts on type of gun. I have done some research and figure on an explorer from JBL - at least they are available off the shelf and don't waste time ordering.

let me know
Derek M
riptidezp@hotmail.com

Reactions: Mr. X
Hey Derek,

Haven't heard from you in a while. Alberta spearfishing is limited to burbot, lake whitefish, perch and non-game fish. The regulations state that it must be done while swimming, which includes scuba I believe. Saskatchewan has more liberal regulations with no variation between spearfishing or angling. Grab a free copy of the current Alberta regulations manual for full details.

I don't really have much experience with the JBL. Others may know more. The are usually heavier and even negative without shaft, which wouldn't be as much an issue if you were using it with scuba, but is a pain if you are freediving.

Lee

Check your CP page Derek. JBL's are not the best option for freedivers- too heavy. On SCUBA they are liveable, but not your best option.
I have one you can have for 50$ if you want (220$ new i think it was)... new latex bands on a JBL Explorer 22.

Spearing on SCUBA is legal in Alberta, Sask and BC.

ERIK,
wish I could have talked with you two days ago - i bought a new EXP. 22 from northwest scuba - and you were right on the price.
I would like to do it on scuba for a while until I get the hang of it. However, can't seem to find anyone to go out this weekend so I maybe doing it freediving.......and bringing my rod just in case as well.

derek

No problem.... do yourself a favour and get some latex bands to replace those clunky black rubber ones if that's what's on it.
Make or buy a fish stringer that can stick on a float or on your belt/harness.
I'm swamped at the moment and the lakes are getting cold too!
Good luck and post pics if you get anything.

we should get together over a tea or something and talk about this - bring your explorer 22 and I will pick it up from you as well!

I am going out to twin tomorrow to see if i can freeze my ass off!

i am open for anything starting wednesday.

going to mazatlan in december - staying away from resort area so may take the gun down.....ever travel with your gun?????

Hey how'd it go at the lake?
I've never flown a gun, but as long as it's in a good container marked "fishing gear" it should be ok. I have a place in Mazatlan I will be going to at some point- a B&B with a spearfishing connection... lemme know if you want it. Also lemme know if coffee's on.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT