• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new WR attempts in 4-5 weeks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
And will the elusive 100m CW official record gain mythical status as champion after champion fails to attain it?

Recent men's CW official attempts:

Nitsch 93m: failed
Stepanek 93m: success
Nery 94m: failed (cancelled)
Nitsch 95m: success
Nitsch 100m: failed
Coste 96m: failed (cancelled)

Curavic 96m: failed (cancelled)
Stepanek 100m: failed x 2
Nery 96m: ??
Cyprus: ??

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Wasn't Stepanek's Cyprus dive last year 94m, and not 93?
Otherwise, cool summary.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Both Herbert & Martin went for 93m at Cyprus. Martin made it, although his gauge read 92.4m, and he was awarded the 93m record. After Cyprus, Herbert broke it with 95m, and then did 94m at the Austrian competition, which remains the deepest ever in a competition.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

really cool summery eric - thanks!.
it looks like that the 100m mark is really mythical ...
but i think in 2004 the historic mark will reached, but who is the first (official)?
herbert, martin, nery, carlos ????

My vote is for Martin in Cyrpus (BIOS Freeology Open Classic 2004). The meet, the surroundings, and having success there are all familiar to him. He went to 100m 3 times in the Caymans this year and knows exactly what he has to do. :cool:

But Herbert has proven himself time and time again, so I would never count him out. When is he competing this year?
don

Herbert has signed up for the CIPA Nice open competition, which is WR certified. So he gets to try first. Then Martin & Carlos get to try in Cyprus.

Then, Carlos and Guillaume get to try again here in Vancouver. If they can beat the local divers it would be a great accomplishment! Herbert has experience diving in cold dark water, Carlos doesn't (to my knowledge).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Herbert's name is down on the Cyprus in-list....
it looks like he will have two chances in the next few weeks!
i think Herbert will hit 100 first...

Remember that Herbert's max with a mask is 94m (unless he has done deeper recently in training). His 98m pb and the 100m samba attempt were done with a pipe mask. CIPA Nice and Cyprus both will require a mask.... In cyprus Herbert blew his ears diving with the mask.... we'll see, it should be interesting!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I think Martin can do it in Cyprus as:
- he has broken world records before in comps
- has done the depth in training
- has shown through his free immersion 102m record that he can equalize to that depth with a mask.

....but that's not to say others can't do it also.

Andy

As for breaking world records in comps, Herb has done more so then anybody. I just did a quick count, he has set at least 7 world records in competition. 11 WR's all up, unless I missed some. Definitely more then anyone else in last 10 years.

I think he may have been the first to set a CB world record in comp, with a mask with his 86m record. Which was 4m over the previous record. Most records before that people used contact lenses or goggles.

It's funny the difference in attitude between Herb&Martin. Herb goes for a record or blacks out trying. Martin bailed twice on the 100m attempt, possibly because he was worried he may blackout.

Cheers,
Wal

somebody knows the PBs of Sophie Passalacqua and Nery
Guillaume ??

i think herbert has the first try in nice, after giullaume, but i don´t know if he try 100m ... if both don´t take the chance, i think martin do it in cyprus. mayby one of them try 101?
it looks that the next few weeks are really interesting!!!!! :)
is guillaume in the in-list for the nice-competion???
if no one dives the 100m in cyprus, i believe that herbert is the only one in vancouver, which can do this. eric has right ... herbert set all records in dark, cold lakes.
but i don´t know if he can go and compete!???!

from the cyprus-in-list, all my 100m favourites :
nr.122 Herbet Nitsch AUSTRIA M
nr.102 Martin Stepanek CZECH REPUBLIC M
nr.109 Guillaume Nery FRANCE M
nr.70 Carlos Coste VENEZUELA M
(and maybe even nr.87 Bevan Dewar SOUTHAFRICA M)

I am looking forward to cyprus!
cu
:)

Last edited:
"welcome to the freediving channel... bringing you freediving programs 24 hours a day, presented by freediving commentator and sports pundit... Alun George!! [cheering cue card]... more freediving action after this commercial break!" :D

Reactions: DeepThought
Go Sophie Go Sophie!
about time the French girls got some fame and fortune

Sam

Go Aurore too while we are at it!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT