• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New WR GT

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hi

I heard some guy got one at around 65kgs somewher else, will look it up

Quote:
The IGFA world record for a GT is 65.99 kg, caught off Maui, Hawaii.

GTs live to at least 26 years and may grow to over 100 kg. GTs mature at 5 years when they are around 20 lb.

Found it. ***** OK so it's not new WR. But holy bedonderde bliksem! It's HUGE !!!!

Ok, so this one's 3kg's more. That's one snack for a fish like this, never mind dinner. Geez ....

International Underwater Spearfishing Association
WORLD RECORD
65.408 kg., 144.2 lbs.
Trevally, Giant Caranx Ignobilis

Diver: Travis Kashiwa
Date: December 25, 2003

Attachments

• caranx_ignobilis_2003-12-25[1].jpg
    caranx_ignobilis_2003-12-25[1].jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 484
Actually the state record is 191 pounds for Hawaii, so about 86.8kg. Speared in Maui in 1980 by a scuba diver in over 150 ft, the diver later drowned at the same spot looking for the partner of this 191 lber which he said was bigger. There are 200 lbers lurking I'm sure. Ready to bust some gear. I think Hawaii has the largest ulua in the world, try go to hawaii fishing news and look under 100 plus club, get choke 100lbers that came up. Aloha

OK, so here's the last friggin post I make to this thread.

Wide-Range Fish Weight Angler Location Date
Giant Trevally (White Ulua) 191 lbs Al Gadow Lahaina, Maui 1/14/80

Giant trevally, locally known as ulua, are the prize of Hawai'i's shorecasters. Many exceptional fish have been caught-some in the 150-lb range. The giant of them all, a 191-lb monster, was speared by Al Gadow from Lahaina, Maui on January 14, 1980. On the same dive, Al reported seeing a larger ulua which naturally escaped.

Those are huge GT.

The first fish looks a lot bigger than the actual record. What length is that gun he is using?

Originally posted by SASpearo
Wide-Range Fish Weight Angler Location Date
Giant Trevally (White Ulua) 191 lbs Al Gadow Lahaina, Maui 1/14/80

Giant trevally, locally known as ulua, are the prize of Hawai'i's shorecasters. Many exceptional fish have been caught-some in the 150-lb range. The giant of them all, a 191-lb monster, was speared by Al Gadow from Lahaina, Maui on January 14, 1980. On the same dive, Al reported seeing a larger ulua which naturally escaped.

The only thing about that Ulua was that it was speared on scuba :naughty

are they tastey

Depends who you ask Memo. IMHO think they are big and stink. Meat is tough and quite gamey. Some guys really like em though. Then again when a bomb swims up to you, it is hard not to pull the trigger. They are extremely hard fighters and unless stoned usually end up breaking gear and hearts.

Brad

True, I like eating them... but only about 20 pounds and under. Over that, like Brad mentioned, they get pretty dang tough.

The smaller ones are good as sashimi or poke.

most game meats have the same prob. I think, the little wild boars are tastier than the large ones too. But I have to say, those GTs look amazing!

hi

Over here we rarely ever eat Gt only becuase their are much better fish to eat but when we do only the smallest ones are eaten.

BTW you got a pic of that 191Lber :cool:

cheers

It does exist!

Like the legend of the Sasquatch, the legend of the 191 pounder has been floating around for some time and yes I have seen a picture of it. It was an archive photo of a cover shot on Hawaii Fishing News. A search of their website just came up empty with a blurb of a story and an unavailable photo. Needless to say it was huge. So huge that it didn't look real. I'll try to find it at home as I remember seeing a photo of the cover in a fairly recent (less than 2 year old) edition of Hawaii Fishing News. For those interested check out the following link to see some truely huge GT. http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/100plus.cfm?order=ID

Brad

I've never seen that cover picture on HFN and I've been reading it religiously for at least 7 years. I read the story I think in Jim Rizzutos Fishing Hawaii Style when learning to shore cast. Neva seen a picture. If anyone is wondering, to be part of the hundred plus club is a very prestigous thing for big game shore casters in Hawaii. That list is a who's who of ulua fishing. Their are a few blessed and lucky souls who pound the lead and are now two to three time members. Especially the big island boyz. Only there can you catch a hundred pounder and not win a contest with it. If you can find the pic I'd love to see it. Aloha

Holy Smokes!

I couldnt imagine what it would be like to spear something that big. If you cant stone then I bet you woud have quite a ride on you hands. Whats it like spearing one of these giants?

Austin~

Austin,
It must be crazy to shoot an Ulua that big. My personal best is an 82 pounder that I managed to stone with a lucky spine shot. I saw my buddy Josh hit one around 70 pounds. It threaded his 400 pound mono shooting line through the cave, eventually getting the clip to his floatline stuck in the cave. It came roaring out so fast and with so much power that even tough I was not more than 75 feet away, I couldn't get a second shot in it. As soon as it saw me coming, it turned, looping the line over the roof of the cave. Now I thought 400 pound mono was strong stuff but that Ulua never even slowed down. It didn't get pinned to the reef like I thought it would; it simply snapped the line with a loud pop. The line looped, the clip got stuck, the line snapped, the Ulua disappeared over the ledge. Unreal power in those guys. Not to put a damper on the 191 pounder but didn't that guy end up drowning going after the bigger of the two in the same spot? Anyway, congratulations on a great catch guys.

Brad

Not 100% sure, but I believe you're right. I recall he went back on a later day trying to find the larger one & drowned. Something must have happened terribly wrong since he was on scuba as well.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT