• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ashuer902

Oct 25, 2017
How’s it going guys and gals. I’m adam, just turned 21 and live on the west side of Portland, OR. (About an hour from tillamook)

I have never been as compelled to any sport than I am with spearfishing, I’ve spent the last 6-8 months researching gear, safety, tips, how tos, you name it. Now, I’m in a financial situation where I can afford to start collecting gear.

I’m having a difficult time finding people in the same area that would be willing to guide me, teach me and overall just be a trustworthy dive buddy. I will most likely be purchasing gear in the next 3 or 4 weeks and will take some classes from OFDC, so f anybody is in OREGON or WA and is interested in getting together, sharing advice/tips and ultimately helping me get into the sport, let me know!

Hi Adam. Did you end up finding training and/or buddies?
I actually didn’t, but I’m still just as eager to begin as then. I would like to buy gear this summer, only downside is that my transportation is a motorcycle, so I’m a little limited to what I can carry and where I can go. I can borrow my girlfriends car now and then and I’m planning on buying a truck soon.

Any progress on the training/buddies/gear?
Not yet, but I spent a week on the John Day river hunting carp, got some diving in but it was super murky and washed out with little to no visibility. I also spent this last weekend practicing diving / breathing techniques in a 15 foot hole on the Wilson river, which was near given that it was crystal clear. A little bit on the chilly side but was good Practice.

I’ve collected a mask, find, snorkel and have been borrowing a pole spear but will hold off on making the big purchase of a gun, suit, accessories until I take the class and make sure it’s something I really want to do. (I know I do, just want to be responsible and smart about it) so before august I would like to take the slearfishin 1 class with pool time through Oregon Freedive Co, but someone told me I’m required to have a dive computer to even take the class so I’ll have to look into it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT