• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Zealand Newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

flying_spanner

Gravity Is Optional
Sep 20, 2007
Hey there, my name is Jared and following is the stereotypical rant all about none other than MEEEEE.

I'm a 25 year old trainee Aircraft Engineer & Qualified Pilot.

I live in Blenheim with my girlfreind Megan (who is both wise and understanding, not to mention looks great in a wetsuit too!!!).

The reason I'm getting into diving? well basically Megan is a scuba diver, our flatmate is a scuba diver (not to mention all his mates), even my Dad and most of his circle of freinds back in our home town are scuba divers. AND DAMN IT I'M SICK OF BEING BOAT BOY!!!

Except the main difference is I've decided to take the more challenging route and get into Freediving/spearfishing. The idea of putting on all the BCD, Tank, Regs etc. doesn't appeal quite so much to me.

I've always loved watersports, and have surfed on and off for a few years now. I love that feeling of insignificance that comes with paddling out into an ocean as vast as the Pacific. I find it very humbling. I guess that's what's steering me away from Scuba. Too artificial.

So i'm in the process of getting kitted up (quite difficult on a student budget) and training my arse off in anticipation of the upcoming freediving course that I've put my name down for.

I swim every night in an olympic size pool that's handy to where I live. Also when the weather here warms up a bit I plan to cycle to Tech every day (about a 14km round trip).

So there we have it, now I think I'm supposed to finish with some meaningful closing like "see you in the water" or "dive safe and have fun" but that would be cheezy. so I'll finish with a simple Goodbye.

Hey Jared,

good to see You aboard! Apart from this place likely providing all the info You need, we're also looking forward to the occasional Me and Megan picture. :t

Have fun on the course!

Welcome dude.

my float.

Attachments

• P1020885(1).JPG
    P1020885(1).JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 133
Did you dive at Kaikoura?
If you need advice/ gear you could contact my friend Darren Shield in Auckland...www.wildblue.co.nz

Attachments

• subaqua logo 2.jpeg
    subaqua logo 2.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 125
Coming up to the No Bubbles course in Welly? It's well worth it.

Might see you up there :)

Coming up to the No Bubbles course in Welly? It's well worth it.

Might see you up there :)

No haven't heard bout this course in Welly. Who do I need to contact to sign up? The more I can learn, the better.

Last edited:
Here's an update on my gear thus far.

I bought a 2 peice 7mm suit for $15.00 off Trademe (NZ equivilent of ebay)
Wetsuit.jpg
Bought a boogie board from a local sports shop, the brightest coloured one I could find on the shelf is all yellow/orange/red in a flames pattern so that should make it move faster thru the water!!!rofl

I also have just bought 20m of foam filled float line ($39.50), 2 motorbike type bungee cargo nets ($5.00 each), and a dive flag, ($8.50)

A few more bits and pieces and my boogie board float aka the Flaming Pontoon Of Death (my mates here have a warped sense of humor) will be ready for testing.

PS I've attached a photo of Megan that was taken about a year ago with her first ever keeper. Don't have any photo's of me yet as I can crack a camera lens from 100 yards off!!!
Megan with crayfish.jpg
Yes she is as keen as I am to buy a boat and get into the water ASAP,
& No she's not for sale!!

Last edited:
Having thrown a wrench or two across the driveway, let me welcome you to a pass time with a much higher enjoyment to effort ratio. Thanks also for the link to the homemade floats...I'm sure my daughter won't mind a dive flag on hers, and the dolphin picture will only add to the style overall. Will post when complete. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT