• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Zealand Travels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blaiz

Apr 8, 2008
Whats up everyone? I figured Id start a thread to keep you guys updated on my travels here in New Zealand. Maybe it will inspire others to see the world and experience what some of it has to offer.... not that Hawaii is a bad place to be 8)

This trip started on the 12th of November when we said good by for now to our home on Maui. We arrived after a 9hour flight from Honolulu, and after skipping a day, on the 14th of November in Auckland city.

We spent the first week in and around Auckland looking for a "camper van" to purchase and it was a pretty stressful week. Having no idea of the scale or distance between cities and towns yet we often found ourselves making multiple 2-3 hour drives to remote towns to look at vans for sale. Most were very old and had upwards of 350,000 kilometers on them... im not a math whiz but I think thas somewhere around 250000 miles? Some were set up really nice but I had a hard time shelling out the cash on an engine that I didn't have much faith in. We finally found a nice toyota hiace with really low miles and seemed to be in great shape aside from the sub par camping features. But being a woodworker and carpenter that could be sorted out later.

We were able to get our gills wet on the first week. A local Kiwi of a town called Whangaparoa was very welcoming when we arrived. He invited us to his house for a bbq and then out on his boat with another local guy for a day of diving. Water was cold and vis was bad but there were fish everywhere. Lots of Kingfish around but most too small to shoot, legal size here is 75cm which is actually a decent size fish. I wouldn't find out till later that 75cm is actually a REALLY small kingy for NZ.

We then drove 2 hours up to a town called Whangarei to stay with some other friends. Here we were able to get our van all situated and now we have a very comfortable home away from home.

Then our Kiwi friend from Whangaparoa called and invited us back out on his boat to an island called Great Barrier Island. This was a 28mile trip that took less than 1 hour... kiwis drive their boat almost as crazy as they drive their cars! The coast and surrounding islands are a sight to behold. Huge fern trees, pahutakawa, and pines tower over the coastline looking like a scene from jurassic park. Hailey and I were dropped off at one spot while the others drove around the corner to another. Within 10 minutes at this spot I was able to put my shaft into a beast of a kingfish. I had no idea of the size of this fish as the water was fairly dirty and Im still not all that confident with sizing fish here. I almost hesitated on taking the shot for fear of it being too small. That doubt was quickly dissolved as I felt the line being peeled off of my reel at an alarming rate. As I reached the surface the reel froze up and I started getting towed off of the island. The next thing I know the fish give a huge pull ripping the gun from my hands. My heart sank as I watched the gun disappear into the depths. I immediately started swimming as hard as I could, barely able to make out the line on the reel. Made the fastest drop to 40ft that I think I could ever imaging doing again, and was able to grab the gun. I gave a hard pull and was able to free the line again. The fight ensued for another 10 minutes or so until I was finally able to get a handle on the fish and brain it.

We never got on official weight but it broke the 50lb scale on the boat. I was happy enough gutting and bleeding it to insure some good hamachi sashimi for the next few days. Our Kiwi hosts cooked up another amazing kingfish dinner with a small portion of the kingy, I took a nice slab to keep hailey and I fed for the next few days, and then the rest was put in the smoker, seems to be the kiwi standard.

We are now headed north and plan on hitting up some shore diving. There is an amazing amount of untouched territory here, scallops, lobsters, kingfish, and snapper are plentiful. I dont think we will be having a hard time feeding ourselves! The next fish to target is going to be snapper. From the way it sounds they rival mu as far as how difficult they are to hunt.

Reactions: podge
Havn't had a whole lot of time to dive lately, been enjoying the local scenery... and vino... mostly vino.

We did manage to get out and get an appetizer's worth of scallops. The bed seemed to be pretty thoroughly picked through but we managed to grab a bag of legal ones. Had to go to the deeper end of the bed to get them but a couple hours produced a nice pan full of scallops satee'd in butter, garlic, and an awesome chili sauce I found at a local farmers market.
Darrell T. said:
What's the water temp. like?? do they got opihis down there or just abalones?
Water temp has been anywhere between 60 and 70 degrees. It was 62 where I shot the kingy and 68 where we picked the scallops. Havn't seen any opihi, but there are plenty of other types of shell fish.... Mussels, scallops, some paua but the abalone are being hit hard here. Apparently there is a major asian black market and the abalone are being heavily poached. Some areas are still abundant but the north island seems to be picked pretty clean.

Going to head further north, not sure when Ill have internet access but Ill update when I can.

Aloha

Reactions: DafyddRees
Good to hear from you Blaiz, nice report and pic's.
Lovely fish too.
It sounds like you're having a great time, keep us posted.

Those pictures just brought back so many memories! Are you heading up to the Bay of Islands Blaiz?

It is such a stunning and emotive country, top bloke for doing it in a camper!

How long are you out there for?

Top stuff Blaiz, live the dream baby.:friday

Thanks guys, plan is to be here for at least 6 months. We have year holiday work visas so if we find some suitable work we may stay longer... or head to oz.

I have been and sailed around the bay of islands on a previous trip but not on this trip yet.

when are you comming down south i'm in nelson , could organise some diving

when are you comming down south i'm in nelson , could organise some diving

Not sure, we are thinking some time during February/march. If you want, PM me your email address and Ill get into contact with you when we decide to head down. Id love to get into the water with some local guys.

Blaiz, there are a lot more paua (abalone) in the cooler waters of the lower north island. They grow faster in the cooler water (I am not certain if it is the temp or nutrients) so you will be able to get a few when you head down towards Wellington next year.

We have a paua spot reserved for you already.

Thats good to hear. Im looking forward to getting in touch when we make it down your way.

Hailey and I have been spending the past week on the Coromandel Peninsula and it has been a blast. After spending a little time in Coromandel town itself, and even making the trek to Whitianga for a day trip we headed out to an amazing DOC camp at Stony Bay. This place was beautiful and the camp itself was all but deserted.

After we took in the sights at Stony bay we headed back towards Whitianga and made a pit stop at Whangapoua where we hiked into Newchums beach. A beautiful white sandy beach that stretches for close to a kilometer or two. Even has a lot of potential for surf. It was small on this day but there was enough to make me run the 15 minute trek back to the car to get my board.

We spent that night at a campsite near Otama bay. These accommodations were nothing special. The stinkiest “long drop” (outhouse) I have ever stepped foot in. But that aside the location was beautiful. A set of sand dunes separated the camp site from another beautiful white sand beach.

The next day we woke up and headed out to another bay where I was able to get my gills wet again. I had gotten some good info about this certain area from a local kiwi and he didn’t lie. Unfortunately Hailey has still been fighting a nasty sinus infection. Though she was feeling much better, we decided it would be best if she stayed out of the cold water and didn’t push it too hard. She was happy walking the long beach, and hiking over the headlands on the other side while I went out and got dinner.

It was a long swim out to an adjacent island and once in the channel between the island I got my first John Dory. This is a trippy looking fish that I would have never thought to shoot had I not heard it was awesome eating. And it was, we sautéed it up later that evening along with some scallops I picked up and I have to say, the seafood along with Hailey’s curried couscous was one of the best meals I have had to date. The highlight of the dive was shooting my first New Zealand Snapper. It seems that this fish is somewhat of the cats meow for NZ spearos and fishermen alike. It was nothing huge but I was stoked all the same.

We enjoyed snapper sandwiches and fish tacos for the next day and Im hoping to get in the water again soon to restock our fish supply.

That looks awesome. I'm flying into Auckland on the 2nd of January with my wife for a years working holiday too. Only 9 more days of being a cubicle drone in rainy Vancouver! It's great to hear how hospitable everyone has been.

Two questions:

How thick is your suit? I've got a 5mm but I think it'll be too thick

How much did you pay for the van?

We kind of have to find some kind of work when we get there because we haven't got that much saved but we're hoping to buy a car/van when we get there.

5mm is good, but you might want a 3mm for summer up north. Water temp varies from ~23 up north in summer to single digits a little further south over winter. You can source gear here though.

Get in contact when you arrive and I'll point you in the right directions

The Aldermans are where its at. Barrier is awesome too - Dustin and I are heading down tomorrow for a charter dive with Rick Turner from Tairua. It was good diving in winter, cant wait to see it now in summer

Well as all good things come to an end I am now home on Maui back from our travels in New Zealand. It was some of the most memorable 7 months of my life and I am confident I will find my self back there again soon, if even for a shorter period of time.

I put together a little video of our diving during the trip. As it turns out I didn't really take all that much footage. I have a hard time viewing experiences through a view finder, even if its just a gopro strapped to my head.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bcGtCIGH0Q]‪Maui Spearo's in New Zealand‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: devondave
Fantastic mate, some good shooting too.
Ah well back home & back to work then!!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…