• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie Rob Allen Tuna 90cm review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
:)Makes you wonder how they load those 150cm models!.

Its all about technique X, has nothing to do with strength. Once you get the proper technique its a breeze. but yeah chest pad essential on a biiiig gun lol

I load my 1.2 bare chest lots without a bruise to show for it.

You're right about technique. Last time out I was loading to the 2nd notch 70% of the time (if it only makes it to the first notch, it stays there!). No bruising this time either (evened bands probably helped a lot) - although the middle of my chest (sternum) was quite tender afterwards.

I've also re-made the spear-end of my spearline, as the whipped loop had closed up after tugging the jammed spear from rocks - making loading impossible. I've now scored the ends with a soldering iron, to give the whippings something to grip into (advice from RA). [I've also got hold of some thinner strimmer line (2mm), although still using 2.5mm for now - but it's OTT]. The spear seems to be loading easier & more positively -- which should also help reduce bruising (mis-loads mean you can end up loading twice or three times for each shot :().

Good to hear the 70cm RA is working out. I was hoping to get one (Sparid) this season but looks like they don't have any in the country, except a very pricey carbon model with reel. Can't see the point of carbon esp. for such a short barrel & reels aren't generally used in the UK (although the RA ones look good). Might have to see what else is around (Omer/Cressi Commanche/Seatec Gabbiano/Rabitech Hunter/...?) -- or perhaps wait till next season (or cut the 90cm down to 80cm:hmm).

Anybody tried the cheaper Scorpia model (available in 75cm size)? It has no rail, no game-clip & swivel in the handle (I think the handle is otherwise the same -- but could be wrong), no muzzle bungee or clip, single rubber muzzle & comes with a single-notch 6.3 or 6.6mm spear & 16mm rubber (& its picture only comes in black&white:D); I reckon it would be good enough. 75cm would be more versatile (for UK conditions) although I get bad vis. so often I feel pretty confident that the shorter 70cm length would enable more shots than it would loose (and there is always the 90 for flat, clear days, Cornwall & Guernsey).
scorpia.gif

Last edited:
just let them put on a rail it does help with accuracy and it couldnt cost too much.

just let them put on a rail it does help with accuracy and it couldnt cost too much.
Less so for the shorter guns (<= 90/100cm) apparently -- but interesting idea, you could stick on one of those Omer rails on.:D (Probably cheaper to buy "the real deal" if you really felt the need for rail). I'd prefer a rail, just because I am used to loading with the aid of one.

Last edited:
less so but it is more stable and costs almost nothing so i dont see the harm my 100cm guns all have rails.

Loading pad

I managed to sort out the bruising and loading issues. I re-strung the thick, designer flip-flop sole (given to me by a Kenyan colleague) loading pad I used when I was starting out spearfishing. I hang it from thin 1" webbing (cut off the end of the roof rack straps I use to hold my kayak). I wear this like a bandalier under my wetsuit. I can now easily load to the second notch almost everytime (I missed the second notch just once this weekend -- which was my most prolific yet - and then just pulled it back to the second notch). It did move out of place during the 4 hour dive though, & it looks like I still managed to get one sizeable black bruise. Overall though, much better.

Love my 110 Rob Allen MVD roller! So much power in a smaller package don't need a big long gun to shoot those Pro logic species.

Reactions: Mr. X
Wow a thread revived after 10 years (almost)! BTW my 20mm rubber soften up considerably in the following years, it was brutal when new though :D 110RA with roller - yes I bet that is powerful. What diameter rubber(s) are you using? For distance though, a long barrel does seem to help with aiming - at least that is the impression I get.

Wow a thread revived after 10 years (almost)! BTW my 20mm rubber soften up considerably in the following years, it was brutal when new though :D 110RA with roller - yes I bet that is powerful. What diameter rubber(s) are you using? For distance though, a long barrel does seem to help with aiming - at least that is the impression I get.
I'm shooting with a 16mm Single band on my RA 110

Sounds good. That's what I would go for. Is the roller-muzzle a standard RA equipment option now or is yours an aftermarket customization by yourself? Muzzle heavy?

Last edited:
Sounds good. That's what I would go for. Is the roller-muzzle a standard RA equipment option now or is yours an aftermarket customization by yourself?
Yeah did it myself! MVD pro 2 on a tuna 110.
Rob has some really nice rollers out on the market, but just to much money for something you can do yourself for half the price. His roller heads run over $200 for a plastic roller head! MVD gives you a stainless steal head plus a tension adjustment screw that allows you to adjust your rollers all for $99

$99 for a stainless stee muzzle kit sounds quite attractive - $200 for plastic doesn't at all! :D

Reactions: So Cal Spearal
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT