• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Newbie wannabe spears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ritchie Kowalski

Sep 8, 2019
Good morning aqua men and aqua ladies. I’m 37 years young family man Who has a fierce passion for the outdoors. I love getting back to nature and experiencing all the beauty it has to offer.
I have been following a lady on instagram called valentine Thomas who is a full time spear-fisher ( used to be a lawyer in London- amazing career change!!!) she has inspired me to have a go!! As this really fits in with my hunter gatherer mentality.
So I’m here to reach out to any like minded folks who can help me to get started with spear fishing as I’ve never seen something so cool!!

Hi Ritchie, it is commonly believed that commercial Spearfishing is and has long been illegal in Britain, and that might well be the case. Additionally, to sell fish, you need a commercial fishing license.

Finally, the EU inadvertently banned Spearfishing in the N. Atlantic a few years ago, under commissioner Borg, because of the way they clumsily, idiotically merged clauses. We campaigned to fix it but the way they chose to fix it was possibly the worst, most limiting option: they added a new clause/appendix to specifically allow only *Recreational* Spearfishing. My interpretation of this is that commercial Spearfishing is illegal under EU law and probably under UK law too.

Also, it is illegal to spear in Freshwater in the UK.

Last edited:
Also I believe Valentine Thomas has a "unique selling point", that helps her get equipment sponsorship and trip invites: she is a young, beautiful women ("model good-looks") in an activity that so far has regrettably few female participants. We'd all like more women to participate. There are one or two women in a similar position in the USA.There is interest, I met a woman snorkeller who was very interested and whose female and male friends and boyfriend were all very supportive - of course they want her to catch them some fresh seafood! :)

I could be wrong but I doubt if Valentine makes a full-time living from this. If you think you can make a living from this, good luck. There is a young, dual nationality Australian chap, living in the UK posting spearing videos on YouTube, which are very good. So there may be competition.

Why not just try it as a hobby, rather than a lifestyle choice, and see if you enjoy it first? I see Valentine travels the world with her boyfriend. It is probably essential as weather conditions here in the UK are often poor for spearfishing and winter is mainly devoid of fish and offers poor diving conditions. It might be a hardlife. How is you health? Do you get a lot of colds or allergies that may prevent you from diving? Are you bothered by the cold, rough seas, poor weather? Are you hardworking, careful and self reliant? (A young father and scallop diver died in Dorset not long ago :( ).

Last edited:
Reactions: alejandro6705
Thanks for the Info

Apologies I meant it to be a hobby! I’m an electrician who loves the outdoor Life, I just want to open up a new world of hunting that could possibly give me a meal or two.

How And where can could I try this out?

Reactions: Mr. X
That's a relief! :D Wait for a spell of calm weather and head down to the south coast, or Cornwell/Pembroke/Gower. Where, roughly, are you located? If London, then Brighton, Shoreham, Bognor, etc.. Or Dorset a bit further.

That's a relief! :D Wait for a spell of calm weather and head down to the south coast, or Cornwell/Pembroke/Gower. Where, roughly, are you located? If London, then Brighton, Shoreham, Bognor, etc.. Or Dorset a bit further.
Live in bewdley midlands but my ma has a caravan at st Issey just outside Padstow

Should be plenty of fish round Padstow. S. Coast is more sheltered so will more often have suitable conditions. Surf if the wind's up and spear if it is flat ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT