• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] CMAS 1st European Apnea Championship

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:
hey..
could anybody explain how these disciplines work?
I´ve never heard about that:confused:

@rbsub
Sure you are right, but I did not get this..

Speed apnea means you need to do DYN 100m in the shortest time possible?
(do they need to do something like the surface protocol afterwards?)

Jump blue :confused:

CMAS surface protocol differs slightly from the one of AIDA. You can be disqualified if the judge decides you got LMC (samba). You need to complete the protocol (removing all facial equipment, showing the OK sign, and pronouncing verbal OK sign) also within 15s, but they will observe you during 60 seconds after the performance. Some judges may be quite strict and disqualify you for a slightest shake (which often may not be hypoxic related at all, but rather coming from the cold, nervousity, or fatigue), others may tolerate or ignore some light LMC effects. The subjectivity of the judgment was the exact reason AIDA got rid of it, but CMAS kept the rule.

Although speed apnea is an experimental discipline and I did not find any exact rules for it anywhere, I assume the same surface protocol as for other apnea disciplines will apply for it too. At least I do not see any reason why it should not.

@rbsub
Sure you are right, but I did not get this..

Jump blue :confused:

I found this on Youtube. First time for me to see it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9e331rKBk]YouTube - Mundial CMAS 2006 Tenerife Jump-Blue[/ame]

Interesting that the descents are weight-assisted. It looks like fun, but I wonder why it's worth having a separate discipline for dynamic at 10m when you already have dynamic at 1m.

Increasing the depth slightly doesn't alter the athletic demands of a dynamic swim, except for the fact that in this case you have to do 90 degree turns rather than 180 degree turns. Plus it adds the danger of a pp02 drop to the end of the swim.

Anybody tried it? Is there something I'm missing?

Interesting that the descents are weight-assisted. It looks like fun, but I wonder why it's worth having a separate discipline for dynamic at 10m when you already have dynamic at 1m.

Increasing the depth slightly doesn't alter the athletic demands of a dynamic swim, except for the fact that in this case you have to do 90 degree turns rather than 180 degree turns. Plus it adds the danger of a pp02 drop to the end of the swim.

Anybody tried it? Is there something I'm missing?

I have to agree that this is just a more dangerous version of dynamics. You can't have a diver following you, even when surfacing. You aren't surfacing in a standard place ala depth diving and not on a solid platform like in dynamics. The safety staff won't be right by you, there are only scubies under the water, so a BO at the bottom would be a real problem. Think gliding out from the end of the course and sinking slowly. And they say depth is too dangerous?

Think gliding out from the end of the course and sinking slowly

True, you'd need to hold it in a shallow area otherwise you'd end up with a scuba diver desparately trying to catch up with you as you sank gracefully into the abyss

you never will see videos from surfacing. why? ask the spectators or the athlets, how many percent cam up with blackout or big lmc...

In a nutshell:
The motivation to create jump blue was mainly to have a second open-water discipline next to dynamic, after static and constant weight were scrapped off by cmas as official disciplines. Competitions in constant and static are still held on a "voluntary basis", but for example in the italian federation they are not part of the national championships. The motivations for scrapping off these latter disciplines were that one or the other are considered by cmas too boring for the general public, and/or difficult to display on tv, and/or with safety too difficult/expensive. Remember some people are hopeful(utopist?) that freediving will be one day an olympic sport.
Jump blue is indeed a variation of dynamic which leaves a lot of freedivers quite uninterested. The incidence of blackouts and similar incidents in the first edition was massive (you basically had to touch the judge's head on surfacing, and then you could pass out), and after that the depth was raised from -15m to -10m which makes it even less distinguishable from dynamic. The success of jump blue as a photogenic discipline is not quite proven, since as a live sport it is impossible to be watched from the surface anyway.

Well jump blue is the most dangerous of all competition disciplines, ppo2 drop like Dave sad, people do not train that so very few know their's limits... BO's at 10m is not much fun believe me... well I don't like that discipline and I don't know anyone who likes it. not to said it has stupid rules, like no weight's allowed!!! Yes you read it right, you cant have any weights on you during the dive. And for me it's a lot harder then DYN maybe it's because of turns, maybe depth, I don't know, but few weeks after I made DYN 190m I made only 127m at jump blue.

Last edited:
I call it "the cub of death". People who invited such discipline have no clue about human physiology and physical lows ...

Friends,

The JumpBlue Competition is not really the best way to compete in Apnea. Most of us know this, and I guess even CMAS realized this and thats why they now have the competition at -10m instead of -15m. Next time they will have it at -5m... and then we're back in the pool.

Speed Apnea will pretty much have the same type of result when it comes to the athletes surfacing. To go super fast and mix it with apnea can in very many way be compared to russian roulette, particular when you going for a medal.

BUT again, this is only for CMAS to maybe have some finswimmers going into the apnea competition. AND in this way have a "higher" number of athletes at there competitions.

I most say that the "Olympic Dicipline" would be more fun:

Freediving in the Olympics 1900, in Paris, they had a special dynamic event on the Olympic program. They gave the competitors two points for each meter swum and one point for each second that the swimmer was able to stay under water. (you are not allowed stay still in this event, you have to move all the time)

/B

Reactions: island_sands
(you basically had to touch the judge's head on surfacing, and then you could pass out)

Hahahaha, WHAT? I can just imagine being severely hypoxic and making a beeline for the poor judge with one thought in my mind: "gotta clout this guy before I BO!"

Reactions: BennyB
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT