• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Cool New National Record for The Czech Republic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Michal Risian set a new National Record in the pool competition held in Zlin, Czech Republic, in the Dynamic No Fins discipline. Michal set his new record at 150 metres. The competition was held in an outside pool in temperatures of 10 degrees Celsius, an...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

Great performance, and congratulations to Michal / Picasso! :friday

The only question is whether it indeed is a Czech, or rather a Slovak national record. Michal Rišian, although being Czech resident, represented Slovakia on the World Championship just two weeks ago. And since according to AIDA rules competitors with dual citizenship can change nationality only after competing under the last flag for at least two years, I am not quite sure if Michal could have change his nationality so fast. Hence, I'd tell that the performance should be probably booked as Slovak National Record (which is probably even more serious achievement, I mean bigger jump, than at the Czech one). Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

Great performance, and congratulations to Michal / Picasso! :friday

The only question is whether it indeed is a Czech, or rather a Slovak national record. Michal Rišian, although being Czech resident, represented Slovakia on the World Championship just two weeks ago. And since according to AIDA rules competitors with dual citizenship can change nationality only after competing under the last flag for at least two years, I am not quite sure if Michal could have change his nationality so fast. Hence, I'd tell that the performance should be probably booked as Slovak National Record (which is probably even more serious achievement, I mean bigger jump, than at the Czech one). Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

Best you speak to Michal, as he sent in the press release himself.

Well, I have both nationalities, cause my mother is Czech and father Slovak. I haven't found such restriction (2 years limit for change) in AIDA rules so peaple here in CZ register it as Czech NR. After all it doesn't so much matter. The reason I changed the nationality is to find more easily any sponsor in next competitions :t.

Reactions: island_sands
Here is the part from AIDA rules.

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]All athletes must be in possession of a passport from the country they represent.

I have Czech passport, as well as Slovak.

Is there any more in rules?
[/FONT]

Well, I may have mistaken with rules from another sport. I was persuaded there was a limitation that dual citizens may compete under the flag of only one country, and can change their nationality to the other one only after having competed for two full years for the previous country. I just checked the AIDA rules though, and do not find the rule there. Not sure if I was dreaming, if the rule is in another document, or if I rather read that rule in an article about another sport.

However it is, whether such rule indeed does not exist, or whether it is in a different AIDA document, I find it very strange that a competitor in any sport would be allowed to represent one country, and just a week later setting a national record of another country without abandoning the other nationality for at least some reasonable time. It sounds weird, but if the rules permit it, there is probably little to do about.

Does it now mean the record will be only Czech NR, or both Czech and Slovak NR in the same time?

Edit: I think I saw the dual-citizen rule, or nationality switching rule in the CMAS not AIDA documents, so I apologize for the misinformation. The question that remains is though whether such limitation should or should not be under AIDA too.

Last edited:
Well, according rules, only CZ NR should be valid, but I am not sure.
Well, the rules concerning nationality are so sparse, that they do not tell whether you have to represent only one, or can represent several countries in the same time. And since they tell you just need to own a valid passport of the country you represent, you could as well represent both countries :D

that is exactly what I am planning in the next competition :).

4th Dutch Apnea Open - registration

Excellent and hilarious! rofl I guess I should have asked for the Slovak passport too (I have Czech parents but was born and grew up in Slovakia). Additionally I could get French citizenship (I live in France and have French wife since many years), and perhaps could have gain the German one in the past too (I lived there too, and my daughter was born there). Buying some citizenships in some exotic island states would not be too difficult either. I could also get the British passport Island Sands wants to toss away - in such way I could inscribe to the next competition under a dozen different nationalities! :D

Last edited:
Hey that would mean i could also represent France and Germany at the same time???
Doesn't help me a lot though for national records as they are/were almost all World records :)

Christophe

Hey that would mean i could also represent France and Germany at the same time???
Doesn't help me a lot though for national records as they are/were almost all World records :)

Christophe
Simple. Become a priest and a citizen of Vatican - I bet you'll hold all national records (unless the pope freedives too).

Ah, I mistakenly posted this my reply to the wrong thread (about Carlos Coste) a few days ago, so am moving it now here, where ot belongs:

I have information from AIDA Czech that during the last WCh in Sharm Al Sheikh, the dual-citizenship and nationality switching was discussed, and that there will be some limitation introduced on 1/1/2009. You won't be allowed changing the nationality within the calendar year more than once. Until then, switching nationalities is indeed permitted without restrictions.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT