• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Coral Pessimism Exaggerated ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Anthropogenic climate change has doomed the world's coral reefs to extinction unless coordinated political action by governments is undertaken. Or has it? New research from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD suggests that coral may be vastly mo...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item: Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item

I have been diving since 11 yrs old.

As a child, I dove in Florida, the Florida Keys, Freeport Bahamas and Hawaii constantly until the late 1980. Then life took over and I stopped scuba diving.

Now 20+ some odd years later I am back in the water and loving every single minute of it. HOWEVER, now that I am diving Florida and the Bahamas every other week I see a SIGNIFICANT change in the amount of fish and coral population.

Coral bleaching was most evident in the keys. I noticed a lot less color and life in the reefs. The "white fungi" covered almost everything. There was a ton of broken coral parts all over the bottom.

I don't think anyone of us need a multi-million dollar survery to know that the reefs are dying and the sea life is vanishing a little bit more every day.

Those of us who love and understand the ocean know it is an extremely fragile - complex system. Damage one area and several other areas are effected...including mankind.

Jacque Cousteau was one of the first ocean environmentalists I can recall who voiced his concerns back in the 1960's

How long are we going to wait before it is too late. Do we need another 100 Universty studies?

So frustrating.

Good Diving.
BM

Reactions: Jon
Same experiance as Buddist Monk. I started in the Keys in the late 1960's, dove all over the Keys and Bahamas since then. There is no comparison between the early 1970's and today in coral, fish or invertebrates. Even the visibility has suffered in some places. Much, if not most, of it is human related. I don't need any studies.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT