• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Florida Hammerhead Pregnant With 55 Babies

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Port Charlotte, Florida - A record hammerhead shark caught by sport fihermen in Florida has turned out to be a female - with 55 babies in her womb. WFTV in Sarasota is reporting that the animal weighs in a nearly 1,300 lbs., thought to be a world reco...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item: Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item

so they didn't eat it, had no intention of eating it.... just wasted a fish in the name of "Sport". "All i saw was big fish" :rcard

very disapointed.

Reactions: naiad
What a waste. 56 sharks killed for no reason. :rcard

If it had been killed for food, or some other valid reason such as self-defence or pest control, I would at least understand the reason, but just for sport? I thought large sharks were endangered?

Also very disappointed.

this news makes me very saddened and also angry, what kins of sick people thin it is ok to kill a magnificent animal because they think it is a world record ? i find it very offensive that people like this idiot try to justify there actions with such lame excusses and i think people like him should be locked away before all of the large and rare animals on this planet are wiped out under the name of sport.

Now if the IGFA were to accept world records based on length and circumference at the thickest point if the fish were released the fellow might be able to have his record and make the rest of us happy as well. I have heard that some big game fishing boats will give you a discount on billfish if you tag and release. We ought to be doing the same thing with sharks for the same reason. Apex predators have too low a reproductive rate to be cropped except under very controlled conditions.

I make no secret of the fact that I’m not a shark fan but I would NOT make a point of killing them in the name of sport.
Myself and stuckinsurrey go to Namibia and catch the bronze whalers from the beach and every single one goes back alive and well even the so-called record fish.
Oldsarge you’re quite right when you say that the apex predators should be tagged and released and not killed in the name of sport or anything else.:vangry

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT