• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Florida SpearFisher Enters Darwin Awards

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
In September 2006, DeeperBlue.net reported that a SpearFisher was found dead off the the Florida Keys in the US, apparently beaten by a Grouper. It seems this SpearFisher has earned himself a place in the 2006 Darwin Awards, named in honor of C...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

What the Hell is this now!!, I mean...this is joke right?
This has nothing to do with gene pools or what so ever, this is a human life, with a family etc,...
Is this is meant to hurt the feelings of others, spearfishers etc?, some kind of low form of sarcasm!!
Sarcasm is for the dumb!!
This must be a joke right?:confused:

Sure what he may have done was foolish, but he is DEAD. Come on guys...

I admit this is the most surprisingly politically incorrect news item I've seen here. On the other hand, it is a report and not an opinion.

ruthless yes, but would there be this outrage if it was the rocket car guy or something again??? cmon.. dont be up in arms against it..

In another thread I proposed a freediver for the Darwin Award too - it was the Swedish guy who died training static apnea alone, weighted at the bottom of a swimming pool, after telling life guards that he is a top freediving champion and can stay 7:30 under water, so that they do not need to freak out if he disappears for couple of minutes.

Yes, Darwin Award is ruthless, cynical and brutal, but so was the acting of the mentioned freediver. I am not sure about the spearo, but I can understand it can look pretty stupid too. There is one difference though: unlike the irresponsible and unwise acting of the awarded people, the joking won't kill anyone. More likely it can save some lives - young people read it for amusement and can often discover that doing certain things (like for example weighting themselves at the bottom of a pool and doing their static apnea training or max attempt without surveillance; cutting branches under themselves; or sticking burning rockets into their a$$es) is not the best and wisest way to leave this world.

Sure, it can happen to anyone of us to make a stupidity and die because of it, but I do not think it is so indecent to warn other people about such danger, even if it is in such a sarcastic way.

Joking about the dead does not mean you have no respect for them and their friends and families. We all do stupidities. All without exceptions, even the wisest people use to do stupidities sometimes. Joking about it, means staying aware of the danger, staying vigilant.

Let they rest in peace!

Last edited:
i hope that if i die doing something stupid, that its stupid enough to make me end up in the darwin awards :) might sound weird, but yea.. at least, as trux said, maybe some people will read about it and not do the same stupid thing :)

dive safe people !!

i hope that if i die doing something stupid, that its stupid enough to make me end up in the darwin awards :) might sound weird, but yea.. at least, as trux said, maybe some people will read about it and not do the same stupid thing :)

dive safe people !!

I suscribe the "concept", but in this case the "Award" is despicable, IMHO: we'll never know what actually happened to the Florida spearo. I just know that about 50% of spearfishing fatalities are related to groupers here in the Mediterranean.
So just as long as we do not know what really happened to him, and we ignore how did the accident actually occur, I think that making jokes about his death is an unacceptable lack of respect for human tragedy. My 2 euro cents.

Reactions: BennyB
I suscribe the "concept", but in this case the "Award" is despicable, IMHO: we'll never know what actually happened to the Florida spearo. I just know that about 50% of spearfishing fatalities are related to groupers here in the Mediterranean.
So just as long as we do not know what really happened to him, and we ignore how did the accident actually occur, I think that making jokes about his death is an unacceptable lack of respect for human tragedy. My 2 euro cents.

Spaghetti, I agree on that!!

I am sorry Spaghetti, but freediving or spearing alone simply is foolish and stupid regardless if many of us do it or not. And spearing a giant grooper, although it may sound attractive for spearos, to a normal person simply sounds as foolish as going to hunt a buffalo with an arc - it is certainly possible, but still rather foolish. Each spearo should be and is aware that there is a risk when diving alone, and that the risk is even bigger when hunting a big fish. If you are trying to tell that there is no risk and no reason to take precautions, like for example having a buddy with you, securing you from the surface, then you are as foolish as the dead man, and I am afraid you may once finish on the Darwin Award list too.

Please do not take it wrong, I do not want to offend you. I am just trying to tell that what many of us do, indeed is a very risky and unwise behavior - and that's exactly what Darwin Award is about - warning about activities that lead to unnecessary and stupid deaths. And dying when freediving or spearing alone is a stupid death, regardless how good and experienced freediver or spearo you are.

That told, it does not mean I do not understand it can happen, or that I have no respect for the guy

No problem Trux, I don't take it personally. You're a wise diver and your opinions are always precious. But please, permit me to be skeptical about the "buddy doctrine". I posted my own idea about this fatality in the old thread:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/spearo-board/67767-news-florida-spearfisher-challenges-grouper-2.htmlI

This is my quote from the september discussion:

"I really hope this tragedy will save our own lives, by helping all of us to remember what we must do or not do when underwater. For example.
-never dive without a knife. You can dive ten thousands times and never need to use it. But your first dive without a knife can be your last one.
-never stretch your breath hold time to the limit when spearfishing on a reef. You could realize that you're tangled or stuck when it's too late for doing anything.
-never insist pulling a grouper out of the hole if you're nearly out of air. Just mark the point, surface, and bide your time before going down again. (SailBlueH2o is probably right: the guy looped the line around his wrist to pull the fish out, and the pulling effort with no air left stoned him dead).
-never rely too much on the fact that you're diving with a buddy. Don't think: "I can risk: if shit happens, he'll come rescue me". Because along a two or three hours outing, even the most caring buddy could drop his attention in some moment, maybe on the fatal moment.
-never spear protected and endangered species. Not only because it's illegal, not only because it's a waste for nature. But also because, how can I say, it's "Taboo", it brings misfortune. As every fisherman and sailor knows, by some mysterious means, the Sea strikes back if you offend Him, willing or unwilling".
Not the holy bible, just a personal spearo's insight.

No problem Trux, I don't take it personally. You're a wise diver and your opinions are always precious. But please, permit me to be skeptical about the "buddy doctrine". I posted my own idea about this fatality in the old thread:...
Yes you are absolutely right, having a buddy is not an all-saving measure, and especially not if the buddy does not survey you, but rather hunts on his own nearby. It is then rather useless. I realize that having a buddy and diving with him in a synchronized manner (always only one diver down, while the other is watching) is not always easy to arrange, and that many spearos will dive alone anyway, but it does not mean yet it is wise. And you correctly speak about other measures one should keep on mind when diving alone. There are even some more of such tips in the thread where we discussed this topic not a long time ago (I just do not have time to look it up, but hope someone can do it). Without knowing details about this specific case, it seams to be apparent that the spearo violated more than one rule, and did not take sufficient precautions. Hence, I believe he indeed belongs on the Darwin Award list, and I'll belong there too if I ever die during freediving.

Two pretty obvious things - no knife! Spearing a large, illegal species that holes up - with no knife and, apparently, wrapping the line around your wrist trying to pull it out. I recall some people tried to argue that he may have speared the grouper in self defense.

Sadly enough, it seems that the grouper is possibly the most dangerous fish after the shark...here in Spain many of the spearo deaths also involve groupers. But unlike sharks where 90% of the attacks are provoked, in the case of the groupers, 100% of the deaths are provoked by the diver. There's one thing I always think - or try to remember: That when I submerge, I may only have as long as my bottom time to live. So judge your bottom time critically and take all the tools you need to make sure it doesn't get extended permanently.

Carry a knife as said above, (very good reasons spaghetti). One of my friends the very first day he took a knife with him, had to cut off the head of a moray eel that had bitten him on two fingers and wasn't letting go. Once on board he had to separate the jaws of the moray using a pair of pliers. Result, he saved his fingers.

saved his fingers AND his life probably ;) those morays sometimes just will not let go, one night i was fishing, hooked one, when i was getting it off the hook, it latched onto my hand below my little finger, and, even after beheading it, still would not let go its death jaw grip ! and when underwater, sometimes they can lodge themselves off so well in the reef that you will probably break the coral trying to get them out.

if the darwin award makes 1 single diver out there realise to dive with a knife, or dive with a dive buddy, then was it really so bad?

Thr Darwin awards are ruthless. I heard the winner for this year was a a guy who died trying to open a grenade with a hammer because he wanted to see what was inside...

You do have to wonder about some people though... while we were in Egypt for the freedive world champs one of the guys we were with saw 2 roadblock security guards trying to open a bottle of coke.

The first guard held the AK47 butt to the ground, while the second guy had the bottle lid over the top of the barrel and was hitting it with his hand, a bit like you would get a bottle top off by using the side of a bench or something (usually not an AK47 assault rifle).

lmao !! grenade with a hammer? and u say the awards are ruthless?? he had to be aspiring to a darwin award to do something like that :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT