• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News from Canada

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
Hello!

Here I' d like to create a thread for all news from the 4th AIDA Freediving World Championship 2004 taking place in Vancouver.

Deeply,

Manuel

Last edited:
Good idea Manuel,
hey was that an image from training in Canada ?
Because if it was I think someone's been playing with colours in photoshop. ;)
I have it on good authority that the water is quite green, thermocline starts around 7m, and at 80m it's pitch black and about 11 degrees. :t

Still wish I was there, best of luck to all those competing.

Cheers,
Wal

What big name freedivers, besides Eric Fattah, are there? Did any signup after it was opened to individuals?
don

Walrus,

It does get to be pitch black at depth, but the organizers have arranged for some huge lights to be placed at various depths to illuminate the lines the entire way.

Jason

@ Walrus:
I found that photo on sportalsub.net. It was in a small article about the world championships. I suppose that the diver is Carlos Coste or someone else from the Venezuelan team. :confused:

Good luck to all competitors,

Manuel

The Venezuelan team will not go to Canada:(
That's is sad
They were my favorite team

@ fpernett:

Thanks for correcting my bad answer. You' re right.:)

Deeply,

Manuel

Hannah Stacey -47m
Anne Marie Kitchen Wheeler -43m

so far so good for the UK! :)

FYI the article is wrong
Sue Pugh subscribed 37m and turned at 35m cos of bad ears so got 32 points - she did not get her tag as the article said

but most importantly the women were all clean and Dave and Sam did too so we are in the running to do well

things are looking good as the weather hots up

Sam

Apologies on the news item folks but lots of results flying at us means a cross connection to Paul on exact results. Has been corrected!

Final Saturday results

The aidaworlds2004.com website has a direct line from the judges for up-to-the-minute results from Vancouver. Results are entered into the site's database as soon as the judges make their decision.

The site supports a number of different ways to view the results:
- Overall team rankings
- Team rankings by discipline
- Team detailed results
- Overall results by individual
- Individual rankings by discipline

Analyze to your hearts content!

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.aidaworlds2004.com

Reactions: Erik
Constant weight day 1 passed with some great performances and lots of happy divers. The organisation on the barge was good although there was a little confusion in the transition zones which we are sure will be sorted out for Sunday's divers. The sun came out just in time for the dives and the additional floodlighting made the competition lines easier to see and provided another distraction from the now familiar jellyfish.

From a personal perspective, the UK team members who competed performed very well as we all made safe calls. Sam Still's dive to 68m looked so easy he looked like he was coming back from 10m. Congratulations on the new UK record.

Best of luck to Dave and Mark diving today.

The actual Colombian Female Champion, Natalia Fernandez with and static record of 6'47" in competition, is in Vancouver and will compete.

She will try to brake "oficially" the World Static Record.

All our country is with her.

Mucha suerte Natalia

Last edited:
I'll be doing safety in the official zone for static, so there is a chance that Natalia will be in my lane.

Either way we are cheering for a new world record!
Hopefully she'll become the first woman over 7'00".

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

That will be great.

I think she has more than 7 minutes inside.

All our country (at least the freedivers) is with her.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT