• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] In memoriam of Loic Leferme

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Loic was a 5th time world record holder, a talented filmmaker, but also a friend. This tragic accident, according to to Vcomk, loic's agent was due to a "failing counter weight system". Cedric Palerme a freediving instructor from the CIPA in Nice, who was...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

Oh no!!! It can't be true! I hope it is not! :vangry :vangry :waterwork :waterwork
RIP, Loic!

I have just read of this tragic news in the UK press. I am truly shocked. I did not know Loic well, but had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and diving with him in Nice.
My thoughts with Loic´s family and all the crew at CIPA.

Even the most intense darkness cannot take the light of a single candle...
Rest in peace

I’m truly saddened by this. That’s another accident bringing a true freediver to an early death.

What causes me an eerie feeling is the depth and nationality involved; 171 meters and French, just like Audrey. I’m not trying to make any connection; it’s just the thought that crossed my mind the moment I read the sad news. My heart goes out to his wife, daughter, the rest of his family and to the entire freediving community.

Carlos Serra

fridykning

Its the third no-limit frenchman lost to the depth. Isoardi, in a spot not far away.

I still wonder if he was wearing his inflatable vest/suit with the small bottle on the back. It would be "comforting" in a way to understand what realy happened, so we can learn something. But I understand all equipment had to be ditched for fast transport to land.

Sebastian
Sweden

why can't they have some kind of back up system? You think they would have learned to do this when Audrey died. just have 2 lines instead of one..... i mean people are dying here. What kind of dollar amount can you put on that as well as the horrible publicity.

why can't they have some kind of back up system? You think they would have learned to do this when Audrey died. just have 2 lines instead of one..... i mean people are dying here. What kind of dollar amount can you put on that as well as the horrible publicity.
They did have multiple redundancy security measures in place. They had sled with doubled ascent tanks, counterweight system, and as others already mentioned Loïc used to have also another additional ascent bottle integrated into his suit. And AFAIK they used to test all those parts pretty regularly. You can read about some of their setups on CIPA's website as well as at FreediveCentral.com. Unfortunately, all that redundancy was not enough in this case - we will probably never know why exactly. It just shows that there is never enough of redundancy at such extreme attempts, but I do not think that anyone can accuse Loïc or his colleagues of negligence or freediving without proper security.

My opinion (based on first-hand experience),

The notion of deploying back-up systems after failure of the primary is incorrect. Systems should be deployed simultaneously. There is no time for such delays.

Relying on a diver to effect his/her own rescue is incorrect.

Not knowing exactly where a diver is at all times, in the water column is incorrect.

Surface safety personnel must be able to ascend a diver without delay.

Surface safety personnel must be able to fully control ascent speed.

A reconnaisance scan of the water column is recommended.

The use of (heavy) weights moving at speed and used to ascend other (heavy) weights also moving at speed is not recommended.

A diver should be free from any weights at depth.

Respectfully,
Seb

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT