• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New Watch is Waterproof to More than 2 Leagues Under the Sea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Sometimes people might wonder why anyone would want to buy a watch that is waterproof to a depth of 12,000 meters or 39,600 feet or 6,600 fathoms.

"For the same reason why someone might buy a Hummer over a Honda," replies Mike Gee of the American Watch C...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item

Well, this guy's answer is as stupid as buying a Hammer - personal opinion of course. Same for the watch..l mean, you buy it hoping that if you drop it in the Marianna Trench at the deepest known point in the ocean, you still hope one day somebody will retreave it for you and will work!!!

funny thing is, ive challenged hummer owners to a lil offroading tumble, just to see whats so special about a hummer, but they all back down from the ol hilux...
dont wanna scratch their finish ;)
i wonder if any of those watches will actually go deep?

I am always open to be dared by someone to take our watch down to 2000 meters. IWC Aquatimer 2000 meters. A year ago I dared my rich friend to test our watches in real time. We tied down our watches in a metal caged frame 5" x 5" and brought his Rolex Submariner and my IWC Aquatimer down to 900 feet for 10 minutes. Sad to say his ROLEX leaked like somebody who had a clapped and had to be serviced the day after while my Aquatimer works just as they were designed for, "The Abyss".:friday. I would really like to take my watch down to at least 5000 feet but I just don't know how to do that!

Last edited:
Your best bet is to take to watch to the west coast or Hawaii (shorter boat trip) where the continental shelf is really short or does not exists. , most of the east coast will require a really long boat trip (because of length of the continental shelf). There are Bathymetry maps on the web, this site has the Alaska stuff, http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/walrus/bering/bathy/index.htm, the measurements are not exact, but it should give an idea how far off shore you need to go.
Also you will find that there is something called the ocean floor (abyssal plane) where thing are going to level, to go any deeper you need to sync the watch into a trench!
You may want to check the Guinness book on record depths for watches!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT