• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New Zealand Freediving Record Set

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Hurghada, Egypt - A New Zealand national record (pending ratification) for Constant Weight was set by first-time competitor Niki Roderick with a 51 meter dive, on the first day of competition in the AIDA Worlds.

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item: Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item

Good going Niki.

I assume you are a female competitor being that Ant Williams holds the current NZ record in constant weight with fins of 78 metres in constant weight with fins.

In any case its a bloody good effort and I wish the papers would take the sport seriously enough to report on acheivements like yours.

Last edited:
yes indeed I am female!! Thanks for the support though.

There were many national records set throughout the competition, and what a great event it turned out to be - wrapped up very nicely with a huge closing ceremony last night. Hopefully next time though we can present a full Kiwi team considering the fantastic divers we have back home it would certainly prove to be worthwhile. :)

Great to hear you and the other competitors had a good comp. Sounds like there was a few organisational issues though.
Do you work fulltime? If so How do you manage to find time to train for the level you're at in this sport?
I own a 7day a week business which pays for my gear but leaves me very little time or energy to train. Give me a year or two to sell the business and I will see you at the comps!

shoutatthesky said:
Great to hear you and the other competitors had a good comp. Sounds like there was a few organisational issues though.
Do you work fulltime? If so How do you manage to find time to train for the level you're at in this sport?
I own a 7day a week business which pays for my gear but leaves me very little time or energy to train. Give me a year or two to sell the business and I will see you at the comps!

In 2001 I was working full time and I trained and set the men's CW world record despite the full time job -- I didn't take any days off work, not even for the record, I just did it on the weekend! But now that I own my own business, I have zero time to train, let alone sleep or eat. No money either!

I have seen the footage of your -82m dive in cw. I guess it is a question of time mangement. I try to do dry statics at work (which is home too) and breathing exercises between customers. (I run a convenience store/fuel station.) I try to get to the pool once a week and summer is almost arrived so I'll be heading the couple of km's to my local marine reserve in the evening if I can find a training partner. You are welcome to join me if you can get away. I am in Nelson. It's only about 20 hr's flying time.
What business are you in Eric?

Yay Niki. Congratulations!
You'll have to come and dive wih us in the big dirty hole they call a lake sometime. :)

I 'was' permantly employed throughout the build up to the competition onboard a 60 metre Private Yacht. We had just completed a busy charter season during which I was working up to 17 hour days. Admist all this travel and work I was slowly increasing my cardio and strength whenever we were in port, any time I had spare I was training, before bed I was going through C02/ O2 tolerance tables and working equalisation exercises and early mornings were stretching/yoga work. Finally two months before the comp I trained for depth in Hawaii with Kirk, where I hit 50 and new my goal was achievable. I then returned to work till 14 days before the comp when I left for Egypt - and where I finally hit 54m and could then saftley anounce 51m.
Since taking up freediving in April this year I have totally dedicated myself to the sport - work is starting to get less and less and I am diving more and more........Thats the trap right!!

Yeah Katfish! I am totally excited about getting back to NZ soon to dive in Lake Taupo! brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :))

Yeah we should have presented that at the start of the Comp!!!! Congrats on your effort at the WC's Ben you had some awsome results!!.

What is next up on your calender for competitions? :))

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT