• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News on DB Members affected by Asia Quake and Tsunami

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Freediver81

The Arabian Stallion
Feb 5, 2004
I heard that some of the Maldivian islands were hit by Tsunami's also! I hope you are well!

Said

Re: Island Sands, are you ok?

island sands, god be with you, hope your ok

maltaspearo

Sara-Lise,

Our thoughts are with you! Please let us know if you are ok!

I think Alison is out in Sri Lanka as well, we've been looking at the news all morning its awfull. I hope they are both ok

As far as I know she is on Christmas vacation and away from the island. But I've no idea where!

Don't forget Alison and Colin who may have been in Sri Lanks these days and Iya in Indonesia. I also have a good freind and his wife visiting Chennai in India which was also hit.

I'd love to hear from you guys!

Adrian

I hope they are all ok! My thoughts are with them all!

My best friend is in Koh lanta, Thailand, a small Island off Krabi! I hope he is ok, anybody heard if anything happened in koh lanta?

Said

Last edited:

My first thoughts were my wife's family, but they are not near Aceh. My second thought was "How's Sara??"
I hope you're safe.
Iyadiver should be ok: I don't know any reason he'd go up to Aceh.
Best wishes and prayers for the dead,
Erik Y.

Sara is Okay

Hi Everybody,
I just wanted to pass on that Sara (Island_Sands) is ok. I just spoke with her a few minutes ago and they are ok. She said the water got a bit high :) but they were in the southern islands and ok. The water came to...(I think she said 2 meters something) but since 1.8 or so is the Island height ... water was everywhere.

They are supposed to leaving for the main Island tomorrow but she seemed in good spirits.

The Islands and resorts got hit pretty bad I guess and the outlying Islands still have very limited contact... only cell phones and those lines are overloaded-working for the phone company gives me at least a little edge in getting through :cool:

Island_Sands sent her greetings to all though, and appreciates the concern and sends thanks to all.

Re: Sara is Okay

Good to hear. Thanks for leting us know.
Erik .

Oh, thank God! As soon as I saw the Reuters headline that the Maldives were hit by the surge, Sands was my first thought. Phew! At my age you start losing too many friends to natural causes and stupid living, and I don't have that many to spare!

Thanks anton, good news, what I got on to find out.

Connor

My heart goes out to those involved, their families, and those present at these disaster locations. May you find some peace during this tragedy.

Lots of love,

Tyler Zetterstrom

thank God they are o.k bad dammage i saw
i hope to hear from her soon ( here) :)
eyal

Good to hear she's alright, just got the news up here. waiting to get a post of Iya too.... :(

Thanks Anton,
That is good news, but I feel very sad for all the people who were and are affected. From one second to another, and your whole life is changed.

Adrian

good to hear that...

feel sorry about others who did not survived :waterwork

Yes,
The damage was massive and the death toll just keeps rising. The caretaker for our compound found out his ENTIRE village on the east coast of Sri Lanka is gone. No phones so he cannot even figure out if his family is okay or not... We are hoping for the best for him since they are/were located on a bit of high ground. Poor guy ended up seeing the remnants of his neighborhood on one of the early bbc clips this afternoon.

Good to hear Island Sands is ok :) and waiting good news from Iya...
It is a real disaster for humanity,it is hard to write after this kind of terrible event...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT