• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News on DB Members affected by Asia Quake and Tsunami

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Sara is Okay

Nice to have some positive news today.Glad you are OK Isl-Sands.
My thoughts are with those less fortunate tonight....
Condolences seems like a word thats lost on an event of this magnitude. but thats all I can think of to write.

Glad you are ok Sara, when i watched the news you were the first on my mind.... its unfortunate so many lives were taken....
Just watching the news right now...

Nesim

Had an image in my mind of that aerial you posted of your island...getting swept over by a tsunami. Relieved to know you are safe.

Re: Island Sands, are you ok?

I've just had the latest update of Colin & Alison, they were staying in a beach house in southern Sri Lanka. The friend of Alison's father who owns it has travelled down to find them, their belongings were found inside the remains of the house but as yet there is no sign of either of them. I will update you of any news as soon as we here

Re: Island Sands, are you ok?

i am ok!!

Thank you ALL and thank you Anton for calling me... we are on Sun Island (south Ari Atoll) on holiday, and our island was not affected, neither the neighbouring island (Holiday Island), where my best mate works.

HOwever, 2/3rds of the resort in Maldives are underwater, a lot of tourists were sent down here to our island and holiday island. White Sands and Fun island (also neighbours) were badly hit, as was the Hilton. The resorts around Male are under up to 4metres of water and are really bad.

Our island (Reethi RAh) which was almost complete in its construction, has had the brand new water villas flooded and the Spa is trashed. The temporary accommodation that was built on the beaches for the labourers was washed to sea, and the labourers, scared out of their wits, spent the rest of the night on the building rooves. There have been riots, looting, and general panic.

We were kept here on more night by the hotel as all sea planes flights were cancelled and then the boss phoned to say that we should stay here yet another night as the island is not safe for women as yet until all 800 remaining labourers have been removed.,

We cannot believe the devastation, whole islands are under water and 1000s of Maldivians are stranded without homes, living on fishing boats and being transported to areas which are less affected. As far as i know 12 people have died, and on White Sands resort a tourist died of a heart attack. The tidal wave has rushed through and over hotels and people have clung to palm trees to save themselves.

We are so fortunate to be where we are and we can only hope that Alison and Colin have found safety. It's all very distressing and we hold everyone in our prayers and thoughts for their safety.

We are returning to Reethi Rah tomorrow, but there is no internet connection or telephone up and running, only the mobile phone system, and even that goes up and down.

We will keep you posted... and thanks again for all your kind thoughts and emails, calls etc.

Sara and Gavin

Re: News on DB Members affected by Sumtra Earthquake and Tsunami Thread

Glad to hear SL is ok. Tony - please keep us all informed on Colin and Alison!

BTW - I've merged the two threads on this topic and renamed the thread.

I saw the news - the damage looks terrible. I hope everyone at Deeperblue is ok.

My heart goes out to all those affected by the disaster. :(

Lucia

Terrible news. Prayers to all affected people there.
Glad to hear that sands in ok.

Tuomo

Hiya all

Iya has posted on another forum, stating thats he is ok!!!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: OceanSwimmer

Hello Sarah! glad to hear that you are ok!

I just got a call from my friend in Thailand and he is ok! he was in Koh lanta when the Tsunami hit and he ran for his life! he and his cousin ran in different directions and they lost each others, each were very worried about each others well being!
They each feared the the other was dead but gladly they are both ok and they contacted each other through the embassy and are meeting as we speek! They lost all their belongings when the Tsunami hit the Island including their money and passports! As long as they are ok and unhurt the money isn't important!
My thoughts are with the family's of the missing and deceased people!

I hope that Alison and her husband are both ok!

Said

Great to hear that the others are alright including Iya. Now we all just cross our fingers and pray that Alison and Colin are okay

I am really glad to hear Sarah and IYA are ok.. hope others are ok too..

Last we've heard is that there is still no sign of them. Its dark there now and most of the work outside has stopped, there have been many casualties from that area and many many people are not accounted for. Please pray for my brother and his new wife.

Alison and Colin, we keep the candles burning. Come home.

Tony,
They are on the list! We hope that they are OK. We were JUST there on Summer Island and left a week ago tomorrow (neighbor to Reethi Rah). A bit worried about a fw friends there that we met and left to enjoy the holiday but, according to the Web Site, they sufferred no casualties, so that eases our minds a bit.

Alison and Colin, we are praying for you!

Bret

Good news
just as I sent the last message the phone rang, they have been found alive a few miles up the coast dont know many details yet but both have sustained broken bones and are being looked after in hall or something will let you know more again as soon as we know more
Thanks everybody

Hope they are really ok! Its really too sad to hear about friends in that way...

Heaven be Praised! Out of the horror, that is the best Christmas gift DB could have received. All present and accounted for, sir!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT