• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News on DB Members affected by Asia Quake and Tsunami

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I,ve just got back from Rome and I am glad to hear all are safe and well.
This is the first chance I have had to get any info about people I know who are out there, a couple of mates were on phi phi Island when it hit one of them has been badly injured, but they hope to fly back soon.

All my wishes to every body

Papa,
You can add People to People and Lutheran World Relief to your list of aid agencies. My wife sent a check to the former and I used my debit card with the latter. To misquote Scripture "The Sea giveth and the Sea taketh away!"

Reactions: Sharky
HAS ANYONE HEARD FROM ABRI ???? (ABRIAPNEA) ?

wasn;t he working in Thailand? :(

Hello everyone!

My friend landed here from Thailand a few hours ago and he has horrific stories of what has happened on phi phi island! He's still traumatised by the event and I'm very proud of his tremedous help to the wounded there!

one of the people he treated was a swedish man which had a deep gash in his armpit and chest, his wife and children died in the disaster and he didn't tell him and he assured him that no one died and that he didn't have to worry!

He told me of another american women that he treated which had broken backbone, broken ribs and a huge gash in her back, he and another person had to pull her from under a fallen wall! her injuries were so horrific that nobody wanted to help him treat her!

And those kinds of stories go on and on and he cried while he remembered the events!

I started wishing I was there so I could have helped those unfortuante people!

I thought Abri had moved to SA?
I hope he's ok.
Good to hear Roland and his girlfriend are still in Nepal.
Erik Y.

I looked for a date of the footage but all I found was the day the file was uploaded to the server.It was uploaded a couple of days ago.The tidal wave in the footage looks to small to do all that damage but i've never seen a tidal wave so I could't say.
Such a terrible tragedy.

Hi All,

Thanks for the concern. I am safe in Jakarta. The epicenter hit my Indo town of Aceh which is 1,200 miles away from me and the island of Sumatra and Malaysian peninsula stopped the wave from coming to my city.

Good to hear all our friends are OK and I do hope someone can contact Abriapnea. I dd hear that he is going back to SA.

Miles,
Maybe u can use your local contact to confirm that Abriapnea is not in Thailand ?

My country is worst hit with 50K+ dead & climbing and it is the closest to the epicenter, less than a 100 miles. Me and friends are donating for the relief effort. In Aceh, water swiped in land for more than 4 kilometers ( 2+ miles ). Part of the Aceh island is now gone. Being the closest to the epicenter, Aceh was hit hardest and wave up to 7-10 meters slammed on the shores. Now the military is burrying the dead as bodies are everywhere. Help is arriving slow because the damage to this area is not only by debris brought in by Tsunami wave but the earthquacke leveled off many areas, torn bridges down, crack roads and so on. While other nations only get the water power, my country got the worst of all. This is as bad as a nuke bomb.

So sad, I been watching TV all days these few days. I was in Singapore when it happened and flew home on Tuesday.

I am thanking all international community (, governments, individuals, companies and also my local communities ) for all the assistance and donation given to the effected countries. This is the world's biggest combined rescue effort.

IYA

Dear Iya
so glad to hear that you are safe. I am even more glad that you have the opportunity to go and help people. We are stuck on our island to the project and have to continue our construction work as normal, as if nothing around us has happened.
Very frustrating indeed. Today we are without water and the power is up and down, its raining and in general the morale is low.

All the best to you
Sara

Selamat hidup Pak Surya, aku senang kamu tidak luka atau mati! Iya, everyone I know in Canada is donating cash.....everyone.
I have just heard from Roland (Immerlustig)- he says he forgot to book his flight to the place that is now destroyed so he is safe :)

I am by nature an optimist and I see the positive, and right now I see this:
the world is a good place, where people's basic nature is not 'survival of the fittest', but 'I will do what I can to help those TRULY in need of assistance'.
I read somewhere: "What do you do if you see a child standing on the street in front of a speeding bus?....you risk your life to save her. That is the true basis of human nature."
Warmly,
Erik Young

i haven't heard from Abri in years but when I was diving with him way back when he was working in Koh-tao (east-coast of thailand) which wasn't hit by the tsunamis

I've send a mail to another friend who lived and worked on koh-tao to ask him if he's still there.

Abri is the one who introduced me to the world of freediving...god i hope he's okay...

to everyone affected : be strong.

Carpe Diem,
Ender

Reactions: DeepThought
I think Abri mentioned leaving for Mozambique where his access to internet would be very limited.

Lets hope this is the case and he is up to his usual self whacking monster sailfish and marlins

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT