• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Regular scuba diving said to promote weight loss

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
An articlein the UKnewspaper publication, The Guardian,has published an article giving facts about calorie burning during a scubadive. They provide the followinginformation, which suggests that regular scuba diving can assist/promote wei...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

Bollox, you need to be clinically obese to be accepted in most scuba clubs.

That is my scientific opinion news bot.

rofl rofl rofl

i thought some of you would have something to say rofl

mind you, when i worked on a liveaboard for five months solid, diving every day, i got very fit legs, perhaps it had something to do with fighting currents but i definitely was quite toned.

mind you, when i worked on a liveaboard for five months solid, diving every day, i got very fit legs, perhaps it had something to do with fighting currents but i definitely was quite toned.

If there is any photographic evidence out there i will change my view just for you :)

i say bollox too...any scoobie knows that if you spend a week on a liveaboard, you "feel" that you are loosing weight, but the post dive hunger/meal always takes care of that :):)

Its like any exercise.. You can go to the gym and burn calories but if you stuff yourself from a buffet evry night (like on a liveaboard) then the exercise is futile. :) its all relative with what your intake is.

Pies and beer :D, and scuba, will guarantee a fat gut for sure unless your metabolism is amazing (my brother has been trying to put on weight for years) - I dived three times a day for five months,ate fish,chicken, rice and vegetables off the buffet and stayed really slim and toned - until I hit the mainland and returned to a sedentary lifestyle :)

I dont know about you sara, but hot pancakes/waffles after a shower and a 6am dive in currents are pretty hard to resist :)

Of course - currents keep you fit! That's why the scubies down at Chepstow are all fat b*stards, there's no current!

Makes sense to me rofl

Reactions: octopus

When I taught SCUBA, all that seemed to show up were overweight smokers who could barely swim, let alone carry a set of gear down to the water. Hopefully a few were inspired to change their habits.

Reactions: apneaboy
When I taught SCUBA, all that seemed to show up were overweight smokers who could barely swim, let alone carry a set of gear down to the water. Hopefully a few were inspired to change their habits.

To add to that, that was the main reason I got out of teaching- I refused to teach a few people and was pissed on by the employer, plus was feeling worried signing off some people's OW certifications. They had passed the 'standards' set, but certainly not mine. I foresaw these clients getting into bad situations and dying because they were undertrained. There's something to be said for the old training standards whereby you had to learn how to freedive first, be a decent swimmer, and do lots of pool sessions before even getting to the open water dives.
I certified enough cardio-impaired divers thanks. :head

I get really annoyed by the amount of money people spend on weight loss and excuses (it's my slow metabolism, I was slim until I had kids, it's because of my job.......)
The first law of thermodynamics can't be broken, in-out=accumulation i.e. eat too much you'll get fat, burn more energy that you eat and you'll loose weight. Most diving certification organisations are in it for the money, fat people love to be in a weightless environment, you teach diving they you'll be teaching fat people and the organisations want their money.

I have opinions. How are you supposed to get fat if technology doesn't allow it?

First, they invented wetsuits. They say it's to prevent hyperthermia. Right they are, but being warm makes you not want to move underwater to keep yourself warm.

Then came split fins. Now you can propel yourself efficiently without using much energy! How are you to lose weight if you don't expand energy? This applies to scooters as well.

Next, trim. They say you can move more efficiently underwater if your trim is good. Little did they realise that they're encouraging less movement underwater, which means less exercise!

And of course, everyone knows that as you get better, you move less. That's not going to help you lose weight, now is it? You move less!

This post was just for laughs. Please don't anybody take offence.:)

And they invented chocolate, alcohol, television, etc etc

Personally i'm just big boned. And i have an athletes body inside of me surrounded by relaxed muscle.

Reactions: salibandy
Most of the Scuba divers I know or have seen are big units, lots of fit freedivers though? Sorry scratch that, I've seen Podge in his rubber suit roflrofl. I'm no oil-painting either but I reckon freediving burns more calories than scuba?

Scuba
Carry your kit to the water on a trolley, press a button to go down, press a button to come up get out have a bacon butty, carry the kit to the water on a trolley, press a button to go down, press a button to go up go to the pub.

Freediving
Pull down, pull down, dive, go home... via the bacon butty van and the pub

Its a close call for me. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT