• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Researchers With Evidence of Dolphin Legs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
Tokyo - A Japanese research team has disclosed startling new evidence supporting dry-land theories of the dolphins' evolution. The research has been based upon anatomical findings of structures the researchers believe to be remants of a set of hind le...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item: Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item

It is sure interesting for Japanese fishermen - if there were more of these dolphins, they could increase the output volume of cans with dolphin fins, without raising dolphin hunting quotes (well, if they have any quotes at all).

I don't know why those japanese scientist think that this fins are evidence that dolphins might have had legs several million years ago. If that's so, shouldn't every dolphin have some remnant of those "legs" in their bones, as we "naked apes" still have the "tail bone" at the bottom of our spines? Or is this the first time they dissect a dolphin? I think this mutations are bizarre, anomalies, but in any case they should be considered evolutions, not involutions. Maybe dolphins (obviously misinformed?) are developing legs to try to escape from a contaminated acuatic environment, without knowing that the dry land is still more polluted rofl

Josedesucre, that's exactly what I was thinking. The hind 'fins' remind me of those extra pair of 'wings' that fruit flies get sometimes. They are in the right place, but they look sort of deformed. It's not just a mutation, but a mangle-tation, too.
I also, like you, can't see how it was determined that these little supposed proto-legs are throw-backs rather than stretch-forwards. Legs "like they used to have" or legs "like they want to have."
The whole thing is pretty silly. Some innocent dolphin got nabbed and humiliated for a birth defect.
I like dolphins the way the are; I hope they don't grow 'extra' fins, don't grow legs, and don't leave the ocean. It would be more responsible on our part to make the oceans more attractive to the dolpins so they won't want to leave it.
Santa Cruz

Although journalists use to misinterpret (or even totally screw up) almost every scientific or technical report or interview, in this case I believe they mentioned the clue (or one of the clues) that led the scientist to the conclusion in the article too: "Whale and dolphin fetuses also show signs of hind protrusions but these generally disappear before birth." And I bet it is not the only clue that led the scientists to the conclusion (if the conclusion is not in fact a pure speculation of the journalist - as it often happens when a naïve scientist mentions an unlikely and unconfirmed possibility in front of a journalist, who immediately takes it for a fact and makes a sensational article with it).

Do not always assume assume scientists are morons, when you read some "scientific" hypothesis in magazines. Usually it is more likely the journalist who forgot to mention some important fact, or misinterpreted/exaggerated facts given by the scientist. Or it is the reader who did not understand the explanation or did not read it in it entirety.

which one? last one i saw was with homer and marge having sex all over the place. now that's scary.

yeah scary too, but the one where the dolphins came back out of the water to reclaim the land

didnt see that.. but saw a NG programme where a dolphin attacked some seriously, quite badly.

There is a fameous one in County kerry thats pretty friendly and another resident in County clare i think who seemingly gets on great with guys in the sea until they try to get out or if they interact with other female divers in the sea seems to get jealous. I'd go but I would be afraid of the rejection. Seriously i think she has blocked guys trying to leave

Yes,dolphin attacks are not as exceptional as one could think. I was once curious how it is exactly with the friendliness of dolphins, and found several reports of dolphin attacks, including some reports of dolphins killing a human too.

fcallagy said:
There is a fameous one in County kerry thats pretty friendly and another resident in County clare i think who seemingly gets on great with guys in the sea until they try to get out or if they interact with other female divers in the sea seems to get jealous. I'd go but I would be afraid of the rejection. Seriously i think she has blocked guys trying to leave

Seriously!? Amazing... i'd be scared... she might get too friendly with a guy and he may end up losing his credentials.

Well, yes, I believe that. In fact many of the dolphin attacks I found during my research, were sexually motivated. There was even one actress (I forgot which one - Jessica Alba perhaps?) who was sexually harassed and almost raped by a dolphin during a movie turning.

So, yes, I believe that the dolphin female won't let guys out of the water - but the solutions is simple - you do not need to be afraid to go in there - you only need to satisfy her and then you can leave :D. There is even an article explaining how to do it. And in the case a male dolphin falls in love with you, the instructions are there too. I found this article when making my dolphin attack research - it was linked to the article about the attack on the actress:

http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html

UK divers should be vigilant too - there is (was?) a known dolphin raper in Dorset waters:
Friendly dolphin 'a sex pest'
Swimmers warned to avoid horny dolphin
(June 4, 2002) In the UK, tourists enjoying the waters off Dorset have been warned to beware of a horny dolphin named George, who arrived in the area about two months ago. "This dolphin does get very sexually aggressive. He has already attempted to mate with some divers," said Ric O'Barry, a marine mammal expert who warned that "dolphins are wild animals and get very rough with one another when they mate. They can weigh up to 400lb and someone could easily drown under the sheer weight." Read the full story at The Times Online [
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-316359,00.html]

More about the topic here:
http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphinrape.html

Last edited:
Reactions: fcallagy
Just for those who did not take the previous warning seriously (see below again), I'd like to remind especially male members of DB, and especially those around Dorset about the way gay Dolphins copulate - Wolle informed us about it in [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68305"]this thread[/ame] - see the picture below. So if you put the two facts together, you better follow my advice from that thread and get a pretty tight nose clip, or have at least a strong and very well fixed mask.
Friendly dolphin 'a sex pest'
Swimmers warned to avoid horny dolphin
(June 4, 2002) In the UK, tourists enjoying the waters off Dorset have been warned to beware of a horny dolphin named George, who arrived in the area about two months ago. "This dolphin does get very sexually aggressive. He has already attempted to mate with some divers," said Ric O'Barry, a marine mammal expert who warned that "dolphins are wild animals and get very rough with one another when they mate. They can weigh up to 400lb and someone could easily drown under the sheer weight." Read the full story at The Times Online [
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-316359,00.html]
0,1020,723382,00.jpg

Reactions: naiad
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT