• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Shark Shield eaten by Great White Shark

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
The Australian reports:A Shark Shield designed to deter and fend off sharks has failed to show its deterrent properties while it was promptly devoured by a Great White Shark off the shores of South Africa.A report has been heard that the Shark Shield ...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

Well at least my shark shield works against oceanic white tips, not tried it with a great white yet. From the article, I guess the whole unit was not submerged and that a part of it was attached to the board above the water line, or on thge ankle of the surfer and therefore still above the water line. Of course for divers and swimmers, the unit would be strapped to your ankle and therefore always submerged.

Trouble is, it is a bit worrying when the article suggests the shield may actually attract sharks and I am planning a 2000 mile swim with one (a shield that is).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…