• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nice Christmas Catch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sturgeon

Feb 1, 2002
Everyone,

My best Christmas present this year was shooting the 2 biggest fish I've ever shot in my life the day before Christmas. We also went out the day after Christmas and got some more nice fish. I figured I'd post them here for those on DeeperBlue who live in colder climes and don't get to dive year round like we do here in S. FL. All these fish were taken while freediving in water depths from 60-80 feet in Jupiter, FL. The 3 cobia weighed 55, 53, & 50 lbs (mine were the 55 & 53 lb'rs and my buddy Fabricio Bueno got the 50 lb’r). I didn't mind getting both of the larger fish since Fabricio shot a monster 72 lb cobia diving with me on my boat last year. The biggest of the gag groupers weighed 20 lbs gutted. I've also attached a picture of a beautiful lane snapper I got the same day as the cobias. It's the biggest lane I've ever seen. I also threw in a couple pictures from the day after Christmas. One is of me with a 20 lb cubera snapper and the other one is a picture of my boat (22 ft powercat) with a friend standing in front of it who got 2 cobia and a gag that day.

Enjoy and have a great New Year’s!!!!!

Scott

Attachments

• cobias_shrunk.jpg
    cobias_shrunk.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Big Cobia

Here's the big one (55 lbs).

Attachments

• 55lbr_shrunk_head.jpg
    55lbr_shrunk_head.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 611
Boat

Here's a shot of my boat with my buddy Jerry holding 1 (40 lb'r) of his 2 cobia he got that day (day after Christmas).

Last edited:
1st 2 cobia

And one more of the big cobia. These were the 1st two of the day (day before Christmas) taken by me and Fabricio.

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Good job guys! The cobias are HOGS. Seems like the cobias are coming in this time of the year. Sorry, I couldn't join you but you know I had my hands full this past Xmas.

Angelos

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Angelos,

I'm sorry you didn't get to join us too but I guess being present for the birth of your first child was probably more important.

Congratulations to Angelos on the birth of his son Nicholas!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Scott,

Nice fish! Which gun did you use on these babies? Elios suit looks like a good fit.

Hey, don't forget to call me when Pat comes down in January. I for sure want to come up and hook up with you guys and get a few of those big ones. :D

Divefan,

All 3 cobia were shot with a Rob Allen 130 cm speargun with a single 20 mm band, single wrap of line, and a 7 mm shaft (Fabricio borrowed my gun since he had only brought reel guns with him). The grouper were shot with either an RA 110 cm or 120 cm reel gun.

I talked to Pat last night and told him we'd talked. He'd like to see you when he's down. He'll be here Wednesday.

Scott

Really nice fishes Scott!! And yes, its almost a tradition that one can get nice hunts on Christmas days, as well as on january the first! For us during those days for the past years we had a nice flat sea with clear water and lots of fishes!
Again, congratulations for the fishes and whish I could join you guys some time!

Roberto

Roberto,

As long as you can hunt in at least 60 feet of water, you're welcome on my boat anytime.

Scott

Nice fishes scott. I should try my chance at 1st of january but don't know if i will woke up early after long and alcoholfull night...:D I just don't want to drown like stupid drunk.....

Murat,

Please be careful if you're going to dive the day after heavy partying. The last guy that came on my boat (about a month ago) stinking of alcohol from drinking the night before blacked out diving with us in about 90 feet of water. Luckily for him we are responsible divers in the deeper water and so we were there to save his ass. It was his first time blacking out and I think it scared him a little, so hopefully it was a valuable lesson for him that he won’t soon forget.

Have a great New Year's and best of luck hunting on the 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roberto,

I'd love to take you out, just email me if you're ever going to make it down this way.

Scott

Actually the idea of diving in 1st of january quite special for me. I will dive very shallow 7-8 meter. I am aiming to be in the water at the 8 am (the hour that i borned 21 years ago.) If i woke up early this will be my first aquatic birthday.:cool:

I hope everybody had a safe and enjoyable New Year's celebration!!!!!!!!!

Murat,

How'd you make out diving on your birthday (Happy B-day by the way!)?

Here's some of what we got over the New Year's holiday. Pickings were pretty slim but we managed a few nice fish. I love diving Jupiter and on a good day I would rank it against just about anywhere in the World. Once again, all these fish were taken while freediving in depths from 60-80 feet.

Here’s a nice Cubera snapper a friend of mine named Mike Moran shot diving with me on New Year’s day.

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: thud
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT