• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nice sea bass "escaped"...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
Got to tell you this...very frustrating.... :hmm
I am no expert but I am trying and have been spending more time in the sea then with my wife lately... :) ..
I have been catching some bass lately...in between 1,5 and 2,5 kg, not to big but still very tasty and ofcourse trying to catch a bigger one...
well...anyways...one of my spanish friends here...a very experienced diver told me...you got to wait a bit longer...if you see a couple of small ones...the bigger one might come a bit later....
So...I am on the bottom...it starts to get pretty cold overhere, see a small bass, so I am waiting...blue already..and just when I want to go up....I see this huge bass, ( I used a totem pelagos 90, the bass must have been at 2,5 meters, it must have been at least 8kg...ok....maybe 6kg :) )...I aim, and pull the trigger, I see the point entering the fish but....the bass just pulls the spear out....the point of the spear did not go through....I was really disappointed :waterwork :waterwork ..
After examening the point of the spear.....many times I was told..sharpen that point...
So my lesson was to keep my gear in perfect condition!

courage, mate! we all learn by mistakes, and after learning we often keep on missing: last summer (august 17, I'll never forget) I lost three basses in three shots the same way you did. At the fourth shot the nylon line got broken and I lost the shaft. My fault, ok, but...GRRR! :head

UFFF

I shot a monster from point blank range with my apache 90, and the spear did not go through.

Moral of the story - Sharpen the spear and shorten the bands ;)

Laff! Oh yes the old blunt spear problem. RA shafts with the tri point cut head are the way forward. Keep up the good work fin trasher!

B

Could this become a 'near miss thread' Anyway on my last dive I had been dropped from my friends boat and was working my way very quitely along a set of bolders on the outside of a seawall,there were hundreds of big mullet 5lbs+ but it was bass I was after. Coming to the end of the bolders I made my way over the top of the last set of bolders to come head to head with a huge bass, sitting in mid-water just looking straight at me! Did it swim away? No it did not, it just lay there head on and did not move. I was using a short gun with a trident head on it so, because it was not going to turn, lined it up and shot it stright in the head. The spear hit the bass square in the middle of the head and bounced off. The fish gently turned and swam away!

situation moray eel: I tried to shoot it right into the mouth with 6mm tahitian, but missed and hit its forehead. The shaft bounced back (such a hard skull morays have) and i had to run away scary scary feary feary...

I saw your your spear tip Mike, it was like a chevy truck!!!!! sharpen it :D

Hiya

The problem with me is that i ONLY learn the HARD way!!! :duh

When i started spearing, i always read about keeping your spear sharp. Never bothered to. My first "BIG" fish that i saw was a 6kg+ fish. I was using a Cressi Apache 90cm gun with 16mm rubbers that were actually meant for a 100cm gun!! (was still learning to load a band gun) Shot that fish at less than a meter from my speartip. Just saw scales flying off the fish and the spear bouncing back!!! Fish simply turned around and swam away. Luckily for me, i found that SAME fish in a different kelp bed..........same story......aim.........fire......scales flying....spear bouncing off AGAIN!!! :vangry :vangry :vangry Since that incident, short bands and sharp spears for me!!!

Another one that got away:
We were hunting yellowtail. Here speed is of the essence. I jump in off the boat and am immediately cirled by a school of yellowtail. I shoot one and hold the fish in the water shouting for my mates to jump in and also get a fish from the school. My old dive buddy jumps in.......aims.........shoots.......perfect shot.......but wait.....the spear bounce's off the fish!!! Arghhhhh!! Reloads, shoots a second fish at almost point blank range. Spear bounces off that fish too. By now, the school sounds and we all get back into the boat. My mate by now is using profanities that'd make a sailor blush!! I happen to look at his gun and see that the rubber he puts over the spear to protect the speartip is still on!!!! rofl rofl rofl

Ah well, everyday you earn something new!!!:D:D

Regards
miles

Probably this happenned to a lot of the spearos: I've tried to shoot one bass for half a minute than realizing that the S-Lock was on :duh :duh :duh

But the best that I've seen was a mate from h/town, who was nurcing a hangover from the previous night and we dove in the morning. He dove w/out even pulling the bands and still trying to shoot..

I was drowning rofl rofl

The spear bouncing off the scales of the fish.....:hmm Ahh the fish have evolved a new defence against spearos....deflecting armour...rofl rofl

miles said:
Hiya

The problem with me is that i ONLY learn the HARD way!!! :duh

When i started spearing, i always read about keeping your spear sharp. Never bothered to. My first "BIG" fish that i saw was a 6kg+ fish. I was using a Cressi Apache 90cm gun with 16mm rubbers that were actually meant for a 100cm gun!! (was still learning to load a band gun) Shot that fish at less than a meter from my speartip. Just saw scales flying off the fish and the spear bouncing back!!! Fish simply turned around and swam away. Luckily for me, i found that SAME fish in a different kelp bed..........same story......aim.........fire......scales flying....spear bouncing off AGAIN!!! :vangry :vangry :vangry Since that incident, short bands and sharp spears for me!!!

Another one that got away:
We were hunting yellowtail. Here speed is of the essence. I jump in off the boat and am immediately cirled by a school of yellowtail. I shoot one and hold the fish in the water shouting for my mates to jump in and also get a fish from the school. My old dive buddy jumps in.......aims.........shoots.......perfect shot.......but wait.....the spear bounce's off the fish!!! Arghhhhh!! Reloads, shoots a second fish at almost point blank range. Spear bounces off that fish too. By now, the school sounds and we all get back into the boat. My mate by now is using profanities that'd make a sailor blush!! I happen to look at his gun and see that the rubber he puts over the spear to protect the speartip is still on!!!! rofl rofl rofl

Ah well, everyday you earn something new!!!:D:D

Regards
miles

thanks for your advice........ :hmm maybe I forgot to take of the rubber...

Echo said:
Probably this happenned to a lot of the spearos: I've tried to shoot one bass for half a minute than realizing that the S-Lock was on :duh :duh :duh

But the best that I've seen was a mate from h/town, who was nurcing a hangover from the previous night and we dove in the morning. He dove w/out even pulling the bands and still trying to shoot..

I was drowning rofl rofl

rofl rofl rofl

I had a near miss with a bass. One of the first I tried to shoot. I was using a 60cm footloader 'Mega Blitz' - a mean bit of kit with a rusty shaft and rotten rubbers, but you make do with what your brother gives you :) I shot a nice 5 pound bass on aspetto and saw the point go in up to the start of the flopper (body shot)... I swam like crazy to catch it underwater and pushed the spear through...

A peli. 90 should be sweet for bass. The tip of devotos when they come look like this :

Attachments

• devotoTip.jpg
    devotoTip.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 165
portinfer said:
I had a near miss with a bass. One of the first I tried to shoot. I was using a 60cm footloader 'Mega Blitz' - a mean bit of kit with a rusty shaft and rotten rubbers, but you make do with what your brother gives you :) I shot a nice 5 pound bass on aspetto and saw the point go in up to the start of the flopper (body shot)... I swam like crazy to catch it underwater and pushed the spear through...

A peli. 90 should be sweet for bass. The tip of devotos when they come look like this :

Yeahh!!! It is gonna be this sharp!! :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT