• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Night Diving in UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jez

Jun 16, 2005
I'm a new spearo this season and have enjoyed the nice summer we've had. Now it's dark when we all finish work so I'm contemplating night diving and I'm looking for some advice.

This seems rather dangerous considering it dark ( :duh ) as finding you're way around would be much harder. How would you be able to handle a torch and a speared fish? Do people mount them on their guns like a S.W.A.T team or carry them loose? Anyone got any recommendations for torches? Which is better for hunting, low light levels or high?

I'm a bit worried about wearing black in the dark an assuming some boat fishermen also go to sea at night, how do you avoid getting run over? If you go with a buddy is there more risk of having an accident in the dark?

Given that most fish behave differently after dark, where should you look for them? Usual places? Out in the open?

Most importantly, how do you convince you other half that you not going to die?

Night diving, judging from other accounts in the forum, seems rather wild and exciting and productive but I don't want to go rushing into it.

Cheers for any help

Jez said:
I'm a new spearo this season and have enjoyed the nice summer we've had. Now it's dark when we all finish work so I'm contemplating night diving and I'm looking for some advice.

This seems rather dangerous considering it dark ( :duh ) as finding you're way around would be much harder. How would you be able to handle a torch and a speared fish? Do people mount them on their guns like a S.W.A.T team or carry them loose? Anyone got any recommendations for torches? Which is better for hunting, low light levels or high?

I'm a bit worried about wearing black in the dark an assuming some boat fishermen also go to sea at night, how do you avoid getting run over? If you go with a buddy is there more risk of having an accident in the dark?

Given that most fish behave differently after dark, where should you look for them? Usual places? Out in the open?

Most importantly, how do you convince you other half that you not going to die?

Night diving, judging from other accounts in the forum, seems rather wild and exciting and productive but I don't want to go rushing into it.

Cheers for any help

Hey, I have done a little bit of nightdiving, but scuba...really cool, there is some guys out here spearfishing at night, they tell me it is easier...
I would take care though...imagine a fishing boat....with you ending up in the nets... :hmm :hmm

No experience of spearing at night , but have spent many evenings in the surf well into the dark. My observations are distance is difficult to judge and it appears a lot darker once you are in / on the water than when looking from the land out to sea.

We used light sticks on one occasion which were really useful for spoting each other. Its very reassuring to see someone elses glow stick .. 1) they are ok. and 2) they can see you! Maybe you could fit one to your dive bouy.

I'll be interested to read your responses to this thread. I've always fancied it myself. I'm told Lobster are easier to collect after sun set?

Been a couple of times and trying to go more - from my limited experience this is what I can recommend....

I don't think it is any more dangerous than fishing in daylight - how often does your gun go off accidentally ? How often do you point your gun at your buddy ? If you answer yes to these then maybe stick to daylight :)

No seriously - it seems pretty safe. I took a float on one occasion and wouldn't take one again. Too many things to think about and not enough hands.

One time I went with some other guys and we had two on the surface and one diving. One gun between us and three torches.The ones on the surface keep their lights off and follow the light, when the guy below surfaces then you get the gun and turn on your torch and dive - this way you stick together and have one sharp pointy thing to take care of.

We generally dive in sheltered bays - in the shallows, don't always need to go deep, and you know there is less likelyhood of boats coming in. Be aware that at this time of year the inshore netting restrictions have been lifted... at least over here, so scope out the spot you want to dive in daylight and check for nets etc... Also pick a spot you know pretty well and have dived at various states of tide, know the currents and know the marks... It is really easy to get disorientated at night. Make sure you talk to your buddy after each dive - check they are cool etc.

Another dive we left the light on in the car in the carpark so you have a reference point. Check it after each dive so you know you are not drifting etc. That dive was good but we were all too competative so went off looking for fish with a gun each - you get carried away and start focusing on fish rather than on where your buddy is - a few minutes later we were well spread out and most of the effort was spent trying to catch up and stick together.

I think the most productive and fun way is to have one down one up with a shared gun and the minimum of gear - maybe go somewhere local and easy to get to (over sand) for an hour to begin with... I am off tomorrow night hopefully for some red mullet :) (If I can drum up a buddy or two...)
Ed

Try diving with a full moon without torches. Your eyes will adjust to the light conditions rather well and you will see what around you not just in your lights path.
The type of lakes I dive in scuba divers start using lights at around 40 ft. At that depth and deeper we just go down and let our eyes adjust.

portinfer said:
I don't think it is any more dangerous than fishing in daylight - how often does your gun go off accidentally ? How often do you point your gun at your buddy ? If you answer yes to these then maybe stick to daylight :)
rofl rofl

If you answer yes to these then let me know beforehand so that I can keep a safe distance - about 20m!

Wouldn't want to end up as a prize catch, along with a few dolphins and turtles!

Lucia

From my experience bass are not bothered at all ... none of the fish are... just back from a night dive with a mate. Really really nice :) Went down to a small cove surrounded by cliffs with a cafe at the middle which has a strong light so you have something to head back to/focus on for orientation.

Went in before in wetsuits and it turns out it is a sort of bar too... got a few funny looks :) Two blokes in neoprene ordering a cup of tea and then drinking it at the bar before dissapearing into the sea !

Anyway, my mate shot a nice bass - we shared the gun and he said 'do you want a go' to which I replied 'nah, go ahead..' ... I dropped down and saw a nice red mullet and some bass, he promptly shot the bass while I was back on the surface screaming 'nooooo, go for the red mullet !'... Anyway, a cracking dive. Very calm and diving shallow at 6m or so - clear for about 8m I guess. We stuck to a plan and verbally checked throughout the dive (mostly me whispering 'shoulda gone for the red mullet...')

Oh - flatfish move around more at night - especially sole.... buena suerte ...

More tomorrow while the weather holds...
Ed

In my country (italy) night spearing is forbidden, and the bounty is very high if you're gotten by the coast guard. Prohibition is for two reasons: it's dangerous for your own safety, and fishes are too easy to spear.
If its legal in your country, go and have fun but be more careful than ever. I don't want to scare you, my friend, but just you mind how hard it will be to recognize in the dark any abandoned fishing nets and lines where you may get wrapped, and how easy it would be to hit your head against any unseen obstacle...and..., ok I'll quit it here, cause I'm getting scared myself.

Maybe you are right spaghetti - but here it isn't illegal, the spots I go are dived in the day too, we watch out for each other, we don't shoot everything in sight ... and it's good fun at night :) Moderation is the name of the game...

Thanks for all you replies, I've found them very helpful. I might wait for some warmer and quieter weather before giving it a go now. I guess that means next summer really.

Night diving is amazing! I have a PCA ikelite 20 quid works well, then i have just a cheap light i can strap to my mask for threading fish and stuff. Very good idea to go with a buddy though, and if possible get a clear visual reference on the shore ie. a light, if not you could use a dive compass.

Night spearing has much to reccommend it. The first time, I was scared to death, but that passes pretty quickly. It is a kick. Many species of fish act differently at night and sometimes that is good for spearing. Flat fish are much easier at night, not camoflaged. Holding a light in one hand and the gun in the other quickly becomes second nature. Put a lanyard around your wrist so you can drop it and deal with a fish. Definately try it, with all due respect for your local conditions.

Have fun,

Connor

Last edited:
Hunting at night is like no other hunting. Usually the fish are more dormant at night and easier to shoot. You can almost put your spear right on some species without them moving, however, I usually hunt at night for lobster, however, even when hunting at night, I take a small spear gun just in case I come across a nice fish to shoot.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT