• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

night spearfishing??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
most fish sleep at night, and they are easy target, that kinda spearfishing will be like collecting the mushrooms
;)
but other type of fishes are night predator and active, those can be interesting to hunt them at night

i have an omer et 130 speargun i think is to large for night what do u recommend.

i have an omer et 130 speargun i think is to large for night what do u recommend.
[/QUOTE
Guess a lot depends where you live and dive, I'm in Southern UK.

Gun length just depends on what you're targeting in what sort of depth and visibility.
As seatrophy mentioned a lot of fish that aren't being actively hunted by bigger predators make themselves very easy targets so from a skill point of view its well easy!

However, if you are subsistence hunting then it makes perfect sense, just be mindful of the fact and don't get carried away as you will see decent fish that in the daytime take a lot of effort and skill to capture and at night they just sit still or sleep.

As for gun length i go for a 70cm customised gun that i've shortened the spear down as well with just a single rubber and a torch mounted under the muzzle, keeping it very simple. Alternatively a Pole spear with a paralyser tip if i'm just going for flatfish and lobsters. I wear a head torch (as back up)and have a very powerful handheld torch also that i sweep side-side with.

I hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: seatrophy
thanks a lot i'm in Cuba the Caribbean i will go also for a shorter gun as i'm going after reef fish and agree about the pole spear very easy to handle and very good for lobster and small fish i have only one water proof torch hand held i try it under the muzzle but then i was dark for handle the fish. i have one for the head but not water proof i'll try DIY it to be

my friend who often hunt at night used 75 and 90 one band speargun .. i myself prefer choose the pneumatic speargun gun about 50
but we hunt in Mediterranean sea in riff

and agree about the pole spear very easy to handle and very good for lobster and small fish
i make several DIY pole spears with trigger .. and when i compare USEFULNESS in action with 75 speargun or with 35 pneumatic speargun
i will prefer short pneumatic speargun or at least 75 one band speargun .. pole spear have only one benefit little fast reload and it is cheap and easy to make it DIY,
but u will face many other drawback of pole spear especially if u make it without trigger
1 two meter pole spear less maneuverable than 75 speargun or 35 pneumatic speargun with same shooting range
2 much difficult to point a target
3 spearhead destroyed very fast

ok i have some parts of a pneumatic homemade gun i'll shorten it see if i can put it back together jejeje

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT