• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Night Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I like a good night dive vid, I am surprised to see so many fish on that undulating sandy bottom!
Was that a seatrout right at the end?

I like a good night dive vid, I am surprised to see so many fish on that undulating sandy bottom!
Was that a seatrout right at the end?

Sea trout I reckon, but I thought the same thing... not much in the way of cover... I would normally avoid that kind of ground....
Very interesting..

Actually Bob I was referring to the type of sandy bottom, I always look for flat sand or even better mixed gravel & sand but the wavy type of sandy bottom is the one I avoid - just goes to show I am not always right :t

Actually Bob I was referring to the type of sandy bottom, I always look for flat sand or even better mixed gravel & sand but the wavy type of sandy bottom is the one I avoid - just goes to show I am not always right :t

Ya dido, ripples in the sand I normall see feckall (never night speared yet) I always imagine flatfish see the ripples and say feck that, no way I can blend in :)
Flat sand I find is usually near gravel or weed of some sort and is worth a root around.

Hi

You are correct, it was a Sea trout.
During the day I hunt over the reefs, at night however sand is where its at. The fish come in to feed on the Crabs/ Shellfish under cover of darkness. Have bagged some very nice Sole this year (3lb+).

Worth a go. Gets a bit eerie at times, particularly when you can here whales communicating and Sub Sonar! Will post a vid towards end of week illustrating this.

Al, night diving is very popular where I live, here is one of my favorite videos filmed by Magpie (or jaketheshed on YouTube)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9uG2eLdEFw]YouTube - ‪Guernsey Halloween Dive‬‏[/ame]

Great Vid Al, I’d be very interested to see the one with the Whale song and sub sonar on it.

Thanks for feedback/ vid link.

Will upload second part of night session tomorrow with the sonar/ whale sounds.

Here is jonnys latest vid from last night ... flatfish city!"
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70M-S8r8AdQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Flattie fishing trip‬‏[/ame]

Underwater Sonar

[ame=http://vimeo.com/26395890]Underwater Sonar on Vimeo[/ame]

What do you reckon this is?
Unusual sonar sound heard whilst spearfishing. It has been edited to illustrate sounds in close succession, in reality they were at approximately 1 minute intervals. My thoughts are that its a sub as it sounds too structured to be organic? There is also a faint engine sound in the background although there are numerous tankers moored offshore.
Am keen to hear if anyone has heard similar sounds.

Very odd Al, not sure what that could be?:confused:
Spooky sound to hear while on a night dive though.

Creatures of the night;

Excellent video! Great editing too, love the red mullet shot! At least I think it was a red mullet?
Good old Lemon Jelly - I did a video to one of their tracks a few years ago. Tried to edit the music and video together and it kinda works, definitely not the kind of slick job you did there though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoDDlbEcfs]‪Tom Arnold paragliding at Perranporth, Cornwall, 28th May 20‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, not exactly spearfishing forum content, but I was inspired by your video and remembered my old one so thought you might like to take a look.

Exc
Sorry, not exactly spearfishing forum content, but I was inspired by your video and remembered my old one so thought you might like to take a look.

Hmm... a nice day at perranporth, i flew there a bit in the winter. did you manage to jump the gap to the south end yet?
staying well off topic but following the parapente theme, i think i might be in this one around the 2 minute mark [hard to be sure, but i was there!]...: turn the sound off to watch it tho!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byb-RAPqj78"]‪8th European paragliding championship‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
we had epic conditions...

Excellent, another paragliding spearo! And a Guernseyman too (My family's from Guernsey as well). Good stuff. :friday

Right then, sorry about the off-topic stuff, let's get back to spearfishing (wind's too strong for flying right now anyway!).
With regards to night spearfishing, how bright a light do you need? I'm on a very tight budget and was wondering about getting a couple of these [ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320721599299&category=29575&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_5385wt_1139]Fronta rechargeable waterproof scuba diving torch | eBay[/ame] (one as a backup). Would it be enough just to give it a go? Was thinking of going in just after sunset rather than a middle-of-the-night dive.

imo just after sunset is a bad time; grey light and grey shadows = hard to see at all.
the better/more powerful the torch, the better you will see. One issue can be whether to go with a wide focus of light or a narrow focus, but either way you will need as much as possible.
i suppose something is better than nothing...
Look at the miniQ 40 [led] as a backup...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT