• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Night Spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TiminYorkshire

Nov 12, 2012
So some of you lot fish at night - what extra kit do you need? Any other techniques to use?

Is there a thread that already covers this (I did a search but no success)?

It sounds fun...

Hi tim i use a 75 gun without the reel and just 1 rap of line (no need to shooting that far) .My dive torch is a
Yezl Q2 off ebay. The rest is just your normal stuff

Tim, night diving is really good fun as there's loads to see, new colours and stuff that you just dont tend to notice in daylight. I love taking a camera at night for macro pictures.
i use a backup torch on my mask as well as a main handheld. Do some serious research on torches because you can sink a load of pennies into one...
i use a dive compass fitted to my speargun - if its deep [cant see the bottom] then you can lose your bearings more easily - i've swam off out to sea before now!!! lol.
just be extra safe and maybe get a buddy to take you at first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr. X
If you're looking to buy a torch, look on eBay for a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED - they are popular with divers and come up for sale pretty regularly at a decent price. I've got torches costing three times what they cost and they are not that much better. It's a great buy.

Reactions: Mr. X
Yes sajeret its all ok in the U.K in the sea that is no fresh water species day or night.

around here(Adriatic sea) is strictly ilegal, all do i use to do it when i was beginner spearo, but i find it not *real* spearfishing because fish is not active and is not trying to escape, it is more like collecting mushrooms...

around here(Adriatic sea) is strictly ilegal, all do i use to do it when i was beginner spearo, but i find it not *real* spearfishing because fish is not active and is not trying to escape, it is more like collecting mushrooms...

Mushrooms are probably harder to find. Night spearing in the winter makes the season a bit longer.
If i could go bow hunting deer i would

I'd go for minimal gear probably and don't buy anything to use in the sea that you aren't prepared to loose. Buy right - buy once is a good policy but not always in the sea. you can loose a £200 torch just as easily as a £30 one. Torch is the main difference. Ideally 2. A small back up (on mask) and a good handy size for looking around. Don't go bonkers on power as in most cases in the uk it just comes back at you as glare in sh!t vis. I'd go for small and handy and burn time (LED) over anything that is like a WW2 search light.

It helps if you can use both torches hands free but not essential. A bit of insulating tape round it on your arm does the job, or if you want to carry it it can help to be able to hold it in your mouth if you want to have a proper rumage around. Imagine bin diving in a dark alley and you are somewhere near !!...for creepy crawlies at least.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…