• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

No fish - No care

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi all

Was awake early despite a heavy head following a bit of a rip last night, but by 9am was pushing a boat into the water from the Buffels-Bay slip at Cape Point. After collecting our quota of Crayfish, we dropped them, grabbed our guns, and headed out again to look for Galjoen.

Soon, the South-Easter arrived, and with it, the rain. Above the surface was a dark, windy, wet and cold world. Below the surface, slipping away from the boat, was a world of amazing colour, at least 35 meters viz, and alive with crayfish, small hottentot, butterfish, star-fish and pyjama sharks. We saw no Galjoen, in fact nothing worth shooting, but it was one of those special dives where everything just feels right. Your dives are long and relaxed, bottom time seems to go on forever, and you see fascinating detail in everything.

Returning empty handed is of no consequence at all, a mere detail to be overlooked.

I even managed a smile when a boat-load of spearo's arrived back minutes before us, having seen a 4 meter great white where we had been.

The best part of all was the trip home however, and seeing on the front page of the local paper that JP, the young surfer who lost a leg to a Great White recently, was today, leaving the hospital to go home. No fish...no care !! What a day.

Jeff

Reactions: ahoyhoy239
Yeah know what you mean bluecape. Sometimes in places I fish for years I find a little oasis of life where you least expect it. You dive between relaxed fish in a place you thought was dead and dont want to shoot anything just take it all in...until Mr.Hyde kicks in that is.

In any event fish or no fish its the contact with the mother sea that always comes first. The sea calls and we must go...

Hiya Jeff

Nice!!!! Was out there on Saturday too!!! Rained wet:D :D
Also saw a group of spearos on a boat motioning that they'd seen a big shark. Can't remember the boats name though. Was a foward console mono-hull fibreglass boat. One guy had on a omer ocean mimitic wetsuit, the other a picasso cammo. Can't remember much else. Water was quite bad on the outside of the point. 4-5m viz at best, and 11 degrees!!!!!

Was much nicer inside the bay, as you noticed!!! My buddy got 3 galjoen from a huge school of fish (well so he claims!!) I taught my girlfriend to take out crayfish, well thats my excuse for not shooting anything!!!!

Was actually a very nice day. Great company, flat sea, diving against the mountain with the rain belting down........very refreshing..............

regards
miles

Hiya Miles

Yeah, saw those guys as well, they had been out to look beyond the point and told us that it was cold and very limited viz ! Amazing how it changes, before getting in near the krans, I could actually see the bottom from the boat ! We came into contact with a few boats, I probably chatted to you guys !!!

Cheers

Jeff

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT