• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Norprene alternative?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Was looking for norprene after a AJ tear off and came across santoprene. It has better elongation and bascially the same "hardness/softness" rating as norprene. It is also 30% less expensive. Has anyone tried this? What is the name of the new material Ron Mullins has been using? and what ID/OD is used most frequently?

was it one aj? or two?....two and a bent shaft!... aahahahahhahahahahah...

Watchin this stuff on bullsharks right now...they don't scare me...ok fine they do.

Cingene sent me some sections of Norprene but also some other stuff which has turned out to be the bomb. It is used in the medical field in pumps and the like but Im not sure of the name...maybe he can fill us in. I like it more than the norprene...it has better elasticity and memory in my unscientific opinion.

Another option is to get in touch with Mori. He is using some stuff now to make his bungie lines that doesnt degrade after a season or two like norprene and other medical tubing. Supposed to be tops. I am considering getting one for my trip to Costa Rica this fall.

Shhhhh...that's some secret material Rigdvr...errr actually....the boss is asking why we use so much of it at work...:mute. The norprene and this secret stuff called silastic tubing (actually made out of silicone and some other stuff) can be compared to a Jeep suspension vs. a Cadilacs. They both have their use as I am starting to find out. Hey Rig, I made about 6- 50 footers silastic tubing, some small tubing ( I can't remember the size) and the others the bigger one. They sure work great in the kelp. The line almost acts like the tubings you have on the gun. I just use it with a small boat bumper and never have tangles in the kelp. They stretch more than three times the resting length and are very durable. AT work, we use them to pump liquid and the peristaltic pump runs on them for about 4 months and rarely do they fail, so the abrasion quality on those tubing are also very good. I only wish they came in more colors other than clear.

So Rigdvr, that silastic tubing is working good for you?

I gave Fuzz some and I was going to see what he thought of it. I think he already made a floatline but haven't gotten back with me. Maybe he hasn't used it yet.

Hey Uncle Sven, you want to be a guinea pig. Just give me a p.m. if you want to try this tubing.

Last edited:
I tried the norprene you sent me & it worked well. The slow memory is a killer though as fish stretch it out thin & it doesn't really aid in pulling them in as much as I'd hope. Does the silastic tubing have a higher memory? (i.e., does it snap back in to shape easier?)

Memory??? I don't remembah.:D No actually the silastic tubing acts more like the tubings you have to power your speargun...I'm almost tempted to use it as such for da hawaiian sling...you want try...just ask bragh.

Last edited:
You know, I might be moving to Orinda (sp?)next month, so keep some weekends open for ab's and 1/2lb kelp greenling. i let you guys know as it gets closer

Cingene, I'll give you a call sometime today for tomorrow ;)

deft, moving or visiting? either way, lets dive! :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT