• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

North Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tecdave

Supporter
Supporter
May 13, 2003
Hey guys,
Well went over to the lleyn for a few days and managed a couple of dives. Dived the evening of Friday and got 2 bass after seeing very few groups of fish, biggest was 3.5lb, We then decided to to dive the morning high tide and were in the water before 7, the viz was really good at about 6-7m but there were very few fish in close. Over slack we finned to the outer reefs and started seeing fish tucked in the weed. I managed a new pb of 9lb (never seen one that size before!) and got 4 over the next hour or so, they were all over 3lb with 2 going over 4.5lb, so was dead chuffed!!!!!:) John managed to grab a couple as well. Went and did a spot of kayak fishing on the way home and got a load of mackeral, few gurnard and dabs as well So all in all a bloody good few days!! Should be out again this week.

Dave

Attachments

• bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: Mr. X
Just logged on to few a few threads and was a little concerned at the size of the Bass caught on the spearo section....and then viewed your haul, much better fish. I won't take Bass under 3lb, just hope others follow suit. Well done from a fellow welsh spearo

Rob

Cheers rob,
Got buzzed by schools of smaller fish that may have just been legal but left them to grow a bit!!

Good looking fish Dave, we're getting the same sort of thing over in Anglesey too. Nothing worth the embarassment of shooting close to shore but just like you say, bigger fish tucked in the kelp on the outer reefs.
We went out last Thursday about a mile offshore, lay on the bottom for a while on the join between the sand and kelp. 90 deg to my left and 45 deg high I saw a 10 poundish fish pop out of the weed to have a look at me about 2.5m away. I had my old gun with 16mm bands on, so I swung it round slowly and let if go, as the gun fired the fish bolted and I could see the spear following the fish but at a slower speed by the time it got close :( Very very annoying rofl

Bet there were a few words coming out of your snorkle when you hit the surface:vangry !!! Do you always dive over high water pastor?? found that the bass are much more activly hunting at hw and sleeping in the weed over low water. Have you ever dived Cerrig-y-gwyr?? its the reef in the middle of the bay I think, looks like it may hold some fish?? May come over your way this week sometime if you are up for a dive?? got to make the most of this good weather and half decent viz:)

Dave

The small islands at the end seem bare of bass, millions of starfish but no bass. The main reef Ynys Ferrig hold plenty though. Give me a pm when your comung up :)

tecdave said:
Cheers rob,
Got buzzed by schools of smaller fish that may have just been legal but left them to grow a bit!!

I fish off west wales, and would not think of taking anything under 3lb, the Dorset section are bordering on Tesco sizes from the last two images posted. Regularly surrounded by schools of Bass, see attached, but won't take them for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• Bassuw08web.jpg
    Bassuw08web.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 244
  • BassJuneweb.jpg
    BassJuneweb.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: stuckinsurrey
Cheers pastor,
Will get in contact by the end of the week.

Sorry Dave, was in a bit of a hurry yeasterday (wedding anniversary, had to behave myself)

I tend to fish any state of the tide really (just so I can cool off at the moment! phew!) I know marks for low water as well as the incoming and high tide, the ebb doesnt fish to well except for the last hour.

We are off to Sharm next Thursday so can you let me know before then? If you can give me a couple of days notice I will try and get Alex (who owns the ultra cool RIB) off his arse too.

Robbo, where abouts are you mate? Nice pics of the little ghosts :) We shall have to get a Welsh thread going to show those southerners some real fishing rofl Only joking guys wink wink

Hey pastor,

Will defo be coming up on Thursday, will be bringing my kayak up as well, but a ultra cool rib:D that would be wicked!!!!
Will be staying over on Thursday night as well so am good for Friday if that is better?

Would be great if we could get out, cheers for the invite.

Hopefully see you at the end of the week.
Dave

Hi robbo,
I regularly go down to west wales as all my fammily live down that way, I mainly dive around Aberporth and mwnt, are you from this area? Am down next on the 7th of August for a few days and then again on the 16th, would be cool to catch up if you dont mind sharing some of your spots?!!
Dave

Tec, I'm also down for a few days around 9/10/11th August. Have a Kayak too, 10ft Tarpon. Mainly fish St Davids area.

Pastor, live in Cardiff but regular visits to west wales keep me sane, windsurfing/surfing and spearing.

cheers,
Rob

Just spoke to Alex, he says he should be OK for then so fingers crossed. He runs a small restaraunt and a kite surfing school here so sometimes is very busy, usually doesent know until 1/2 hour before but know problem we can still fish.
You can see the tides for then here but dont forget to apply the daylight saving

Wicked, will send you a pm with my number. cheers for sorting that out.
lets hope the bass come out to play in a few days!!!!

Hi pastor,
HW is at around 12 so what time do you want to dive???? I can be there any time. Wind looks good as well with 5mph northerly!! :)

Will call Alex in the morning and try any tie him down to a time, I would guess around 10 but if he cant do thursday then 8 would be better for a shore dive in the current :)
I'll pm you some directions to my place tomorrow too

Dave, sent you directions how to find me. You may be interested in the Rhosneigr beach cam that points out towards Ynys Ferrig and Cerrig-y-gwyr. Give you a rough idea of the local conditions, which at the present are f#:$ing gorgeous!

Cheers for sending that, cant bloody wait!!!
What sort of time do you want to meet??

Just spoke to Alex, he says as long as the wind doesnt pick up and he has to go teaching kites we should be OK for about 10 am. If not we can still get in on a couple of other reefs nearby, so can you get to mine by say 9:30 - 10:00? The house is only 10 mins max from the A55. Should be in for about 5 - 6 hours, 1/2 hour here and 1/2 hour there, maximum depth no more than about 10 - 12m at a guess.
Just seen your old british record apnea time!!! We're both very impressed, you'll have to bring your instructors hat with you too rofl
See you in the morning :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT