• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Northern California (Bay Area) Diver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuse614

Jan 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

My name is Shaun, I am currently residing in the San Francisco bay area and have been into freediving for a few months. I usually go to Hawaii once or twice a year and have been snorkeling/swimming since I was a kid. I took a spearfishing class in Maui early January and a level 1 F.I.I. course over here in Monterey, CA. I've been on this forum for awhile now and have decided to introduce myself and hope to meet others who are passionate about the sport as I am. I am looking forward to reading and sharing some experiences with freediving/spearfishing with you all.

Welcome to Deeperblue! How did you like the Monterey course? Do you have a preferred dive site there? I did my certification dives off of Del Monte and the Breakwater. Lots to see, especially at the Breakwater.

Welcome to Deeperblue! How did you like the Monterey course? Do you have a preferred dive site there? I did my certification dives off of Del Monte and the Breakwater. Lots to see, especially at the Breakwater.

The course was great! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to take it. Kris Cortez was my instructor for the course and he is solid! I definitely gained a lot of confidence and learned the proper safeties and techniques of freediving. Since I am still relatively new to to the sport, I haven't really had a chance to check out some places in Monterey. I do plan on going back there and finding some places to dive since its only an hour and half away from where I live.

That's great to hear! What kind of numbers were you reaching by the end? How was the viz and diving conditions for the ocean component?

Reactions: fuse614
Numbers by the end of the course for me.

Static: 3 minutes 02 seconds
Depth: 31 feet (2nd tape)
Visibility: around 5-8ft in the middle of March.

Practice and repetition is key, hopefully I will be able to achieve deeper depths and keeping those Equalizing Tubes open next time :D.

Had a similar experience with a course taught by Kris Cortez. He is very a competent teacher. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fuse614
Hello everyone,

My name is Shaun, I am currently residing in the San Francisco bay area and have been into freediving for a few months. I usually go to Hawaii once or twice a year and have been snorkeling/swimming since I was a kid. I took a spearfishing class in Maui early January and a level 1 F.I.I. course over here in Monterey, CA. I've been on this forum for awhile now and have decided to introduce myself and hope to meet others who are passionate about the sport as I am. I am looking forward to reading and sharing some experiences with freediving/spearfishing with you all.

Hey Shaun, I know you posted a while back now. I’m new to Deeper Blue and relatively new to freediving (just got my AIDA **) however, fully in love with every aspect of the sports :) I’m in Northern California next month and hoping to get some days in the water with an instructor for some cool dive spots and coaching. I’m interested in the course you did and your instructor. DO you still have the name of the school and/or contact details for Kris Cortez? Many thanks for any guidance, Ryan.

Hey bay area free divers! If you're looking to meet some other freedivers/spearfishers we play a sport called Underwater Rugby which is basically free diving as a contact sport. Many of our players go on spearfishing trips on the side. We'd welcome all of you to come try out the sport - there are often players of all level at practice! You can learn more about us here: https://sites.google.com/view/sfuwr. Feel free to message me if you have any questions and hope to see you in the water!

Reactions: Kodama
Hey bay area free divers! If you're looking to meet some other freedivers/spearfishers we play a sport called Underwater Rugby which is basically free diving as a contact sport. Many of our players go on spearfishing trips on the side. We'd welcome all of you to come try out the sport - there are often players of all level at practice! You can learn more about us here: https://sites.google.com/view/sfuwr. Feel free to message me if you have any questions and hope to see you in the water!

Super cool sport!
Did you know if there are underwater rugby clubs up in Northern California?

Hey @Kodama, where in Northern California are you referring to? We are in San Francisco, Mountain view, and in Marin. There's nothing further north until Vancouver Canada and nothing south until San Diego :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT