• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

not to be hunted

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Pictures taken in November 2003, on scuba, at Manta Point, in North Male' Atoll.
this a cleaning station where you invariably see mantas during season.

when i was in Mauritius they used to catch these for food.

Attachments

• manta small.jpg
    manta small.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 408
more

altogether there were about 10

Attachments

• manta-point-small2.jpg
    manta-point-small2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 403
more

a bit more. i love these animals.
i have some great mpegs too but they are too large to post.

Attachments

• manta-point-3-small.jpg
    manta-point-3-small.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 388
thanks! hey i have some friends in Cascais.. i spent 7 days in Lisbon. Portugal is a wonderful country and the food (oh the grilled sardines..) is the best.

they should have told me not order the feijoada in hot weather.. :)

Those are wicked pictures!!! How much does one of those things weigh?

Whats wrong with a Fojada in hot weather ;)

mantas

it's like eating a fabada in hot weather.. gas expands.. :(

mantas? about 3000lb... gestation 395 days.. (holy moly)

(NO YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE!)

Last edited:
eh eh... yes, the rule is: if you can eat grilled sardines, dont eat feijoada, in hot weather or not :) and Cascais is "the place" :)
have you diving here?

Attachments

• roca.jpg
    roca.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 333
i live between the two places, sure you had visit Cabo da Roca and the downtown when you had visit Cascais

Attachments

• baia.jpg
    baia.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 323
uh... look at that. god i love the Med. mind you, Portugal is Atlantic side isn't it?

the food, the wine, the people, the atmosphere.

i have never dived there... was there for the Cosmetica show in 1999... spent most days in that new exhibition centre in lisbon and then the restaurants afterwards... heheheh.

i never went to Cascais. my friend bought the apartment there after i left lisbon and i haven't been back since.. :(

Thats a real nice coastline. Looks a bit like Europa Point in Gibraltar :D

That big rock jutting out in middle of pic looks like one of the Farallones from the Island of Capri in Italy too.

How is the sea life there?

i know very well the international fair center in Lisbon, i had work there for longtime :) Cascais is my home but my heart is in the middle of the Atlantic: the "blue islands". and yes, i already had dive with those beautifull monsters there :)) not so many as you, sure, but i tyhink is the same animal. how many Mantas are on the water in that place?

hi shaca. yes, is a beautifull place. the most western point of the europen cost. the rock on the water is the "Ursa" and have a small beach downthere, with a waterfall, very impressive landscape. the faune is almost the same of the Med, but with much more "Lubinas" (here the name is Robalo) , eh eh eh

about the house, no, isn't a restaurante, is a particular house and bellows to an ancient aristochratic family, ...it's a shame.... i'm republican :))

manta birostris.. i am not sure of the population.. as mantas apparently migrate to the South China sea to give birth and then return.. during plankton season they are seen all over the maldives..
so there must be 1000s of them. hard to say. (will have to investigate..)

so your from the Azores... wow. you lucky man. loads of dolphins out there too..

hey we call them robalo as well.

Many of our fish names are portugese and not Spanish.

Gibraltar is a great a place :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT