• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nova Scotia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scotian

Mar 19, 2008
Hey everybody!

I'm a bit new at this, but with warm weather coming I'd like to try a bit of spearfishing here in Nova Scotia. I'm searching the web, but I can't find much information regarding the spearfishing sport in this province. Does anyone out there have any information that could steer me in the right direction? I have two questions; Is it worth it here (are there suitable fish), and what length/poundage speargun should I have?

If I'm coming across as too-new-and-jumping-the-gun, apologies. I've been doing my research and I'm not going to jump into this unprepared.

Sorry you have had no replies but we do have a few Canadian members so keep posting :)

There have got to be some line fisherman up there. Get in good with them and figure out what they target and how deep, etc...

ive been spearfishing for years down here in southern new england. we're not too far from nova scotia and im sure we have some of the same species swimming in our waters. of course you should check your local fish and game laws to see what is permissable in terms of spearfishing in nova scotia. that was a good suggestion to check with some of your local line fisherman. i know that some spearos up in new hampshire and maine shoot pollack and other ground fish. if it is legal and the summer range of the striped bass are a possibilty in your area, i would say start with them. they are a premier gamefish and are a perfect target for spearing. they can get up to 60 pounds though 10 to 15 pounds is an average fish. they can be very curious and somewhat approachable yet they still offer a challenge. in terms of gun length, power, style etc it really depends on your target fish and the environment you will be hunting in. i would probably start with a smaller reef gun and get the feel for it by practicing on smaller fish. tautog are a great "starter" fish if you happen to have them in your area. once you get proficient and decide you like the sport you can always graduate to pursuing tuna of which your waters are filled with in the summer months. this is of course getting ahead of yourself at this point in the game. start small and get comfortable with the safety aspects of the sport. there is no substitute for the buddy system. you should be able to find some fish in shallower waters not far from shore. once you figure out what you will be most likely hunting than please write back and we can find the right equipment for you. hope this was helpful.

Reactions: Erik
^^ Great stuff ^^
The hunting will be worth it and I'm sure there are fish to find. Just check with your fisheries wherever you get a fishing licence- there should be a mention about different rules for spearfishing if there are any.
Some provinces do not differentiate- others ban it entirely.
You've a great resource here for info about gear, use of gear, hunting techniques, breatheups, and maybe even hooking up with other hunters at some point. If you're ever in Alberta, gimme a shout.
Erik Young

Moshup,

Very very helpful. In an interesting development since I first posted this, I have been hired as a Fisheries Observer. My training starts the beginning of May, and I will be taught every fish in our waters, their habits, how to recognize and disect them, etc. A bit of luck.

Thank you for your reply.

This is the info I found... I live in Ottawa and I was hoping on doing the 16 hour drive.

Spearfishing or bow fishing has been used for centuries to catch fish without the use of fishing rods, fishing reels and fishing lures. Originally, sharpened sticks were used, but modern spearfishing is accomplished with modern slings or spearguns that are propelled by hand or by compressed air, an elastic band or a bow.

This method of fishing is prohibited for char, trout, salmon, shellfish and sturgeon. Certain Canadian provinces and territories such as Nova Scotia, Yukon, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland also prohibit spearfishing. New Brunswick does not allow the use of spears to land a fish that is caught by angling, and fishermen can’t use spears or any type of jigging device in inland waters. Quebec only allows spearfishing in certain areas or for certain species of fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT