• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

November Session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Simon_Reid

Jan 4, 2007
For this November (5th) session we shall be starting off with a quick briefing and question time while people arrive.
Then we shall be doing some stretching round the pool.

If you have a yoga mat this will be handy, though a towel will do.

The stretching we shall be doing is to loosen up both the neck and thoracic regions. We shall start with the neck.

When we dive our four main air spaces, ears, sinuses, mask and lungs have to equalise.
The ears can be problematic for many. Congestion brought on by colds, allergies or diet can sometimes make it impossible to equalise.
Without equalisation as the pressure increases we eventually will suffer a barotrauma, or pressure related injury. In the case of the ears this can be as serious as a ruptured eardrum, very painful, often accompanied by an ear infection which has to be treated with antibiotics and quite a period of time out of the water while it heals.

One way we can make things easier for us to equalise this area is to stretch our necks prior to diving. This relieves tension in that area and makes it easier to open the eustachian tubes allowing air to enter and equalise the low pressure area on the inside of our eardrums.

We shall also be stretching our thoracic region; this enables us to take very deep breaths with less discomfort. In these exercises we shall be stretching our diaphragms and intercostal muscles.

When we start to go beyond -25m and we pass lung residual volume, our chests and diaphragms have to be able to stretch as our lungs compress further. I will go into more detail in our pre-stretch briefing. If we do reach residual volume with a non flexible chest and diaphragm, we can risk a barotrauma (in this case a lung squeeze) which is not very pleasant. That is why we should always stretch first before diving.

We shall be doing some static apnea. With the new guys I shall be seeing what your present performance is to see where I can start you on your resistance to hi-C02 tables. This breath hold series will take some time as we have eight breath hold and eight breathe up/recovery cycles.

After this we can practice duck dives to make them slick, elegant and most importantly, efficient.

I shall be bringing some neck weights for those who may want to do some dynamic apnea and then we can finish off with a much loved and very popular TOYPEDO session.

Those who wish to can then use the sauna to relax in and we can chat about what we have learnt and ask any questions about the session.

I shall be getting to the pool at 7pm.

In the mean time any questions you have about freediving, please feel free to ask here. Stephan and I want this forum to develop into a meeting place for all Tribe members to share ideas, experiences, queries etc. We both keep quite a close eye on the postings here, so a response will usually be quite quick.

Regards

Simon.

Last edited:
Thanks James and Ian, see you later.

Who else is going to join us for a stretching, static and Toypedo session tonight?

I have 2 Toypedos now, so double the fun. I think we need to make up some rules for this game, any suggestions?

Just back from a Scuba trip to Egypt and narrowly missed serious injury after nearly flipping the RIB in heavy seas when the engine failed and then being washed tumbling over a reef of fire coral! I tell you, contrary to popular opinion, freediving is SAFER!

Regards

Simon.

A good evening last night and we welcome Marc, the newest member to our club. Marc has trained with the late great Loic Le Ferme and brought along his Brier Carbon monofin to try in the pool. Two flips of that and he was at the end of the Tribe pool in an instant!

We started with a neck and thoracic stretching session and then went on to static apnea with James jumping in with my Tribe tolerance to high CO2 Table V, and took it in his stride.
This was the Tribe's most difficult table to date so I have now had to create some harder ones. Tables VI & VII have now been formulated and are ready to roll.

Table V has a constant breath hold of 2 minutes and starts with a recovery of 2 minutes. There are eight breath holds in the set, the recovery time reducing by 15 seconds per step until the 6th and 7th steps which stays at a recovery of 30 seconds. The new tables increase the breath hold times but keep the recovery time the same as table V.

Regards

Simon.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT