• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NZ freediver competing despite lung cancer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I just saw an amazing article about an NZ guy diagnosed with lung cancer who despite it decided competing in freediving, and the article even tells he plans going to a competition in Denmark. It is not clear whether he goes to the WC as spectator or coach, or whether he plans participating in another Danish competition (but I guess there are not so many there), so I wonder if anyone of you Kiwi's knows him.

Anyway, great seeing him not giving up, and living up his dreams. My best wishes to him.

Making the most of now | Stuff.co.nz
Cancer patient's bucket list - life-style | Stuff.co.nz

Yes, Darrell Cottle, the brother of our medic. He did a great 1'40" static today in our recreation grade. He did get a medical clearence to dive as he's doing OK at the moment.

He'll be doing a dynamic tomorrow.

He's living his life to the fullest and wanted to have a go.

Nice cap Trux!

There are a lot of people surviving cancer, and living is part of overcoming the disease.

What's the use of postponing death when you're not living?

Love Courage and Water,

Kars

Well, sure, but try holding your breath and doing competitions, when your lungs are attacked by the cancer, and when doctors tell you you should have been dead already.

There are a lot of people surviving cancer, and living is part of overcoming the disease.

What's the use of postponing death when you're not living?

Love Courage and Water,

Kars
Sorry, but he's terminal. He is living to the fullest in the mean time though. I enjoyed meeting him, even if the circumstances were hardly ideal.

Chrismar,

I'm sorry to hear that, on the other hand there are terminally diagnosed people who lived through the doctors' estimations. It's not a 100% certainty, there are chances and options.

Sometimes I meet people who could use such a diagnose, they could use the motivation to skip the petty stuff and start focussing on living. Maybe he feels like keeping a journal, recording and sharing his experiences may add another layer of meaning to his life too.

I wish him a full, rich and for filling life.

Love, Courage and water!

Kars

Hi All,
I have not posted in a while, but this topic is dear to my heart.

The diver that you are all referring to is my Brother In Law and is a remarkable individual whom I am honored to be a part of his life.

Darrell will be attending the Worlds as my Coach, making sure that I dont do what I did to him this weekend by making him arrive at the comp 1 1/2 hours too early. I am very confident that he will do a much better job that I did.

A little history, Darrell only just got into freediving after I returned from the Bahamas (VB09) and asked me if I would teach him how to Free Dive. This was pre-terminal diagnosis. It was fortunate that I had made a deal with Walter Styen and had one of his older Monos, so we gave that to Darrell to learn to use the Mono.

He has made amazing progress through a very short amount of time and has used Free Diving as part of his mental recovery. His escape has become under the water where he can be away from the noise. I am sure we all know what I am referring to.

Ok, he is never going to set any NZ records.. GOD KNOW I have tried!! .. but just to compete, to tick another thing off the list and keep on going is what makes him the special individual he is. Through out this he has always been positive and progressive in his thinking.

His mission now is to deliver an important message to us all, and possibly its even more important to freedivers, which is the risks of Skin Cancer, Melanoma, and the little talked about, but mostly fatal SECONDARY CANCER (Metastatic Melanoma) which very often occurs after untreated (Or even treated) cancer. This is the one that can get you, and its the one that not many people seem to want to talk about.

As freedivers, we are in the sun a lot. Its a (mostly) summer sport and exposure is high. I have heard of high profile athletes having melanomas removed from the backs of their hands. We need to be aware that there are other things that are far more dangerous than our diving itself and to never lose sight of that.

Thank you Darrell for making me aware of this.

You can follow Darrells progress at the following website:
The Great NZ cover Up

Thanks all and see you in Denmark!! :friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT