• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ocean Men DVD??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eshepard

Apr 24, 2004
Does anybody have any information about the availability of the Imax film Ocean Men??

It shows up on the japanese Amazon, does anyone know if this version is in english?

Yes, I'd definitely like to get my hands on that movie.

Do tell, someone.

I smell a chunk of reps for the person who's got the goods. Wait, never mind, somebody's making cookies upstairs....anyhoo the rep offer still stands.

Just to add my 25 cents...

When I was at the course with Umberto in Sardinia, he told us that the IMAX-format can not be viewed on a normal TV, so therefor...No DVD possible!

-But the documentary is almost as increadable as the IMAX....

Peter P

Check this out

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002B5A70/qid=1108076391/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/249-9619474-4790741"]Amazon.co.jp: ラスト・グランブルー 永遠のライバル [DVD]: ボブ・タルボット, ピピン・フェラレース, ウンベルト・ペリッツァーリ: DVD[/ame]

maybe some members read japanese, and can shed some light into this. I am particularly interested if the film is in english and if it is obtainable over seas, (USA)

thanks guys

YEAH!

That's all I have to say, but I can't send just "YEAH!" without typing at least 10 characters.

Peter P said:
he told us that the IMAX-format can not be viewed on a normal TV, so therefor...No DVD possible!

Perhaps it might not be possible if the Ocean Men movie was filmed using a different/specific type of film, but here in Australia there are many IMAX DVD's for sale. One of the television stations has also started showing IMAX movies on Sunday nights. Hopefully the technology is there to put Ocean Men on the small screen, otherwise it would be great if it did another run in the IMAX cinemas!

Cheers,
Ben

Folks,

The issue is not that footage cannot be used on a TV (in fact the TV Documentary that accompanied the film utilises the IMAX footage) the issue is that the production company went bankrupt. Hence there is little to no interest by the financial recievers in releasing the film back into IMAX cinemas or onto DVD as it would involve spending money when all that h5b5 want is to get the company going again in their core areas of business.

There is absolutely no way the film will be released unless someone buys the rights to the footage and films to release again.

Having said that there will be a one-off showing to launch Italy's first Imax cinema in Riccione in May

Well I just went to the Japanese Amazon site and ordered it.

If you click on the link provided above, then look to the right and there's an orange button (where the usual "add to cart") button is on the Amazon.com website.

On the next page you'll see a list of things that similar customers bought and a little button that says "Would you like to see this page in English?" Click on that and from then on half of the information is in English and half is in Japanese.

Proceed to checkout, log in (I had to create a new account, it didn't recognize my amazon.com password for some reason - strange as I shop at amazon.ca, .com and .co.uk using the same login and password) and then you might be asked for an address - don't start filling out the form, instead click on the "International" link and enter an address there.

On the next page, suddenly everything was in Japanese again except for my address, I clicked the wrong button and the next page was in English, telling me to choose an address for shipping, or billing (I can't remember which), so I did. After that I entered my credit card details and then got the usual final page with a summary of everything (I think the total cost was 4,700 yen - which is roughly $47) and I clicked "Place Order" and that was that. So now, hopefully, in 4 to 6 weeks I should receive my copy.

Of course, the whole thing might be in Japanese, which would be funny; as your unofficial guinea pig on this one, I'll let everyone know all the dvd details as soon as it arrives.

Sayonara.

Last edited:
I've found another japanese web in english here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNBF-7057

DVD Details

Running Time: 81mins.
Data Format: DVD Video
NTSC Format
Layers: single-sided/single-layered
Aspect Ratio(s): 16:9 LB Vista
Regional Encoding: 2
Color
Encoding: MPEG-2
Subtitles: Japanese
Audio Track :
English: Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo

I expect to get my copy soon! :p

See you in the Blue,
Edu

Gwpcasey, I have kindly translated the last page of your order from japanese:

"We thank you good-hearted Gaijin of the land of the setting sun to have purchased a full size inflatable doll of Pipin Ferreras + appendages and GuShiMai."

Couldn't translate that last word though, sorry. :)

Reactions: roy_nexus_6
The ones you are referring to look like they run to 81 minutes which is the length of the TV Documentary (directed by Christian Redl) filmed next to the IMAX movie.

This is NOT the same as the IMAX movie which runs at around 40 minutes, although will feature some of the IMAX footage shot for Bob Talbot's film.

Thanks for being a guinea pig, let us know how things work out.

I was looking at those details and NTSC means it will be compatible with US televisions, I have to check for the region encoding, I dont know what region 2 includes, but there are ways around that if it becomes problematic.

As far as I'm aware, Region 2 is for Japan, Europe (not all of it, I believe), South Africa and the Middle East and, as you pointed out, NTSC is the television format used in the US (as opposed to PAL in the UK and SECAM in some areas of Europe).

I have a multi-region dvd player hooked up to a multiple-system TV that I use to watch, mostly, British comedy series that haven't been (or won't be) released in NTSC. (League of Gentlemen, series 2, 3 and Christmas special, Little Britain, Ali G etc.)

However, I'll try it on my normal, Region 1, dvd player to see if it will work for US viewers. I don't have any way to test if it will be viewable in the UK though...

Of course, if you have multiple dvd-player programs on your computer then you can always set each one to a different region and use that to watch it - which is what I used to do before I had my multi-region dvd player.

And if you're feeling adventurous, you can fiddle with your dvd player. Go here to read of one individual's endeavours in this regard: http://www.braineater.com/ori.html

Good luck. Oh, and Michael - thanks so much for the translation! rofl, can't believe I scored a GuShiMai without realizing it!!!

Reactions: sinkweight
I don't speak a word of german, so I am not even sure it is the DVD, but have a look at this, it my be interesting.

e-bay link

With the help of babelfish, that looks like a book? Never heard of such a thing...

# Title: Ocean Men/OceanMen
# Texts: Daniela way
# Illustrations: Christophe Tebar
# 1. Aufl.
# Nuernberg, Burgschmiet Verl.
# 2001
# 128 sides, ueberw. illustrates
# 24 x 30 cm
# ISBN: 3-933731-63-1

My guess is that "128 sides" means pages...

Hi,

yes, this is a book ... I purchased it some time last year. Mainly photos (from the film I think). Let me know if you want any further details.

Also, on amazon.de I recently discovered:

[ame="http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3894052473/qid=1109000760/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/028-6231644-7768555"]Schwerelos in blauer Tiefe: Der Mensch und das Meer: Amazon.de: Umberto Pelizarri, Ilse Rothfuss: Bücher[/ame]

which seems to be a National Geographic title (again a book), but I could not find out anything more about it. Does anybody else know more?

Regards,
welwichia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT