• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Octopus?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kale

Jun 20, 2006
I was recently told that octopus is good to eat, but it just doesn't look all that good. I was just wondering if it is worth a try or not. Does anybody have a favorite octopus recipe?
Thanks,
Kale

Octopus is more than good: it's delicious. In Italy the most popular recipe is "Alla Luciano".
Pop off the eyes and interiors, then put the Octopus in a casserole, cover it completely with cold water, add a pick of salt, light the fire.
When the water starts boiling, take 35 minutes (35 minutes from the moment in which the water starts boiling). When time is done, pick up the octopus, cut it in pieces (no need to skin it, but many people do) and then dress it: olive oil, a little vinegar, abundant lemon juice, minced garlic, minced parsley, a very little salt and pepper at your will. That's it.
We eat it as an entry, never hot, preferably cold or slightly warm.
Cheers.

And it doesn't get any better than that! Ah, the memories of visiting my daughter when she was stationed in Napoli . . . I don't think I ate meat or fowl that entire vacation. The seafood of the South is not to be missed.

Oldsarge said:
And it doesn't get any better than that! Ah, the memories of visiting my daughter when she was stationed in Napoli . . . I don't think I ate meat or fowl that entire vacation. The seafood of the South is not to be missed.
Napoli: Us Navy Sixth Fleet is still based there if I dont' go wrong. Is your daughter a sailor? (just for curiosity). I love that city: been there 3 times on summer holiday and once for Christmas.
Back on the Octopus topic, Napoli is the only city where I've seen pedlars selling boiled octopus in the streets, just like in America they sell Hot Dogs. It was funny seeing all the people walking around and talking in the streets while chewing pieces of octopus :)

Last edited:
Stop it you guys! It's tormenting to me that I am not there right this second. I'm in Naples, .....but it is the wrong one!

Dreaming of Italy,
Jim

:)

Reactions: spaghetti
My daughter was Air Force and she was attached to the NATO base there. I must admit that I was there in the worst possible time of year, the heat of July. Dreadful! Still, Mrs. Sarge still dreams of Capri and wishes we could afford a vacation home on the island. My next goal is to manage to get north of Rome. I hate to admit that I've never seen Tuscany, Lombardy or any of the fabled cities of the Renaissance but such has been life. Worse yet, I've never visited the Val da Trompo and that, for a devoted shotgun maniac, is criminal! And taking an entire month to visit Rome is another goal. It would take a month. Shoot, it would take a week just to see the Vatican! And I'm a Lutheran. :D

If you ever decide, accomodation in Tuscany will be easy deal. And we may have luck in Lombardy too, since my family is scattered half in Tuscany and half in Lombardy ;-)
Ccn Jim: your Naples must be a wild place according to stories I've heard. Is it true that alligators swim up through water closets to bite your butts?

Back on topic, another octopus recipe that's good for the smaller ones: polipetti in umido (tiny octopuses in red sauce).
Mince garlic and white onion in very small pieces or transaperent thin slices, heat them up in a little olive oil. When the onions turn blonde (don't let them burn!!!) drop in a dozen of tiny young octopuses, heat them for a minute or two taking care the mix doesn't burn, then drop in a glass of dry white wine. When the wine has steamed off, drop in a can of tomato sauce, or a couple of finely minced fresh tomatoes, and a glass of water. Let it cook on low fire for half an hour, adding water if necessary to keep it liquid (rather gluey than liquid). Adjust with salt and pepper and your favourite spice. When ready, serve it on a "bed" of toasted bread. When it's over you will lick the dishes!!!

Last edited:
damn spago!!
i just had dinner i feel hungry again :)
I think you could do the last recipe with Shrimps or calamri too right? maybe toss in some basil or parsley for extra flavour

cheers

Oh with calimari it would be choice. Clams would also work though oysters might be just a bit strong . . . unless you like anchovies on your pizza. ;)

Sure, the "in umido" recipe is good for almost any kind of seafood, including red mullet (triglie alla livornese, tuscan recipe), moray eels, conger or freshwater eels too, provided everything is cut in reasonably small pieces before cooking.
I never tried it with oysters for just one miserable reason: they're fuffing expensive here, as well as lobsters, and by the national regulations it's illegal for divers/spearos to pick up shells and lobsters from the sea in Italy. We're forced to buy those beauties, but it takes a mortgage!

That's terrible! If they are that expensive then you should simply include diving for them in an Autumn vacation in Southern California and find a way to write it all off on your income tax. Surely a in-person visit to this notorious area for "journalistic" purposes qualifies as a business expense?

Oldsarge said:
That's terrible! If they are that expensive then you should simply include diving for them in an Autumn vacation in Southern California
In my dreams, Sarge...but never say never.
It's curious how you and Jim are dreaming of Italy, while every italian is "California dreaming".
Octopus: next will follow the most challenging octopus recipe: risotto alla pescatora. I'll post in the next hours.

Reactions: Freediver81
Three theories for you:

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence!

People are attracted to and want what they cannot easily have!

It is always nice to see a fresh face!

:)

Last edited:
Just to add my two euros to this... Try a pressure cooker! Forget boiling the hell out of a squid or octo for 2 hours.. 20-25 min at full pressure creates a dish that is beyond words. Nowt wrong with tradition but things do move on. Try it! Magnifico.:)

Thank you guys for the great recipes. I will try it out as soon as I can. I can't wait to try it! I am apoor college student, but I eat pretty damn good. I love lobster, scollops, fish and abalone, so hopefully I can ad octopus to my menu soon. I always see them especially at night, but then again,I was never really looking for them:t. I thank you again!
Happy Diving!
Kale

in the marianas, they serv it a few ways, as Keleguen, and as a garlic saute item. I am not entirely sure, but the Keleguen, similar to soviche, has tinian hot peppers mixed with soy and lime juice, and marinates the chopped raw Octopus. essentially the lime sort of cooks the meat. It is pretty damn good! but my favorite is the Garlic Saute'd octopus, simply amazing!!
I will try to get the details from our local fishermans restauraunt, called Abyss.

best of luck!

Scott.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT